Hi There

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shanna Murrin, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shanna Murrin

Shanna Murrin New Member

Hi there, my name is Shanna, and one of my cats was diagnosed a few weeks ago, now I'm trying to figure out his food...so I guess I will find the appropriate place to ask about it

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board Shanna. There is a wealth of information here to help you with diabetes treatment for your cat. A low carbohydrate wet food (raw, canned, or home made) is recommended for our sugar cats. I found this board via catinfo.org, a website about the best diets for cats by Dr. Lisa Pierson. Dr. Pierson has also created a food chart that displays protein, fat, carbs, phosphorus and calories. You can review that at the top of the Main Forum. Here is a link to the Food Chart
    Just a word of caution, if you are transitioning a dry food eater to all wet food, this will lower the blood sugar level, and if you are already injecting insulin, you will need to be testing the blood sugar to see how the food is affecting your cat and to help avoid any hypo events. Even if you are not already using insulin, home testing is going to tell you how much the food change is lowering the BG (blood glucose). Please look around the forums, ask questions in the Feline Health (Main Forum). More eyes to see and respond.

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome. Check the food chart above for foods under 10 percent carb (under 7 is even better). Ff classic or Friskies pate are popular as well as Tiki cat, and bff.

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.