Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiSwan

DiSwan New Member

My 5 year-old, female cat, Lexi, was diagnosed about 4-5 weeks ago with diabetes after I noticed she was losing weight. She had been what the vet had called "portly", so at first I thought the weight loss was a good thing, beings she was eating Science Diet Light Hairball Control. Then she lost another 1 lb over the next month, so I knew something else was up. She also had the other symptoms (appetite, excessive thirst and peeing).

My vet put Lexi on a prescription dry food from Royal Canin, but after about a week or so, Lexi started getting lethargic and her eyes just looked "empty." I got on the internet to research what I could about feline diabetes and read all of the comments about switching to a high-protein, low carb canned food. I went out and bought Fancy Feast classic canned food, and Lexi seemed to love it. After a few days, she seemed to perk up, her eyes brightened up, and she started to play a little and jump up on my lap and purr. Then my vet called and asked how she was doing on the prescription food. I confessed that I had switched her food to a canned food, and he responded that if switching to Fancy Feast would help treat diabetes, that they would all be doing it. He basically guilted me into switching back to the prescription dry food. But, after about a week, Lexi again started acting like she wasn't feeling well. Last Tuesday night, she actually refused to eat both the prescription dry and canned food, so I switched her back to Fancy Feast so she would actually eat something. I felt like I was losing her! By Friday, she seemed to be perking up again.

I've been doing a lot of reading about blood glucose numbers, trying to educate myself the best I can before I follow up with my vet. I bought a Reli-On Ultima glucometer so I could home test Lexi. I have no idea what her numbers may have been before now, but here are the readings that I have taken so far:
    8/21 8:30pm - 287
    8/22 11:50am - 266
    8/23 10:00am - 360
    7:00pm - 376

These are the numbers on the meters and have not been converted. I don't know when is the best time to test her, should it be before or after she eats, etc...? She hasn't started any insulin yet, but I think I probably need to get that figured out soon. How long should I let the diet change work?

I am also thinking about getting a second opinion from another vet, because I just don't think that my current vet is going to be very open with me regarding her diet.

Sorry this is so long-winded, but am looking forward to any advice that I can get.

Thanks!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.
    Your vet may be out of date and need to do some research.
    There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!). This saves you the cost of going to the vet for curves and done regularly, removes the need for a fructosamine test.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 Carb found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir. No insulin lasts 24 hours in the cat, so giving it every 12 hours is optimal for control.

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hello Di, and welcome to you and Lexi. :)

Actually a lot of people here do switch to Fancy Feast or similar and it most certainly does help their cats' diabetes.

I think a second opinion would be a good idea. Lexi's improved clinical signs are what your existing vet should be working with, not some 'cookie cutter' treatment plan involving prescription dry food. BJ has given you a link to an excellent, vet-authored site on appropriate feline nutrition. Dr Pierson covers diabetes on the site.

It's great that you're home testing.

Mogs

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Also see my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for additional assessments you may find helpful to evaluate your cat.
    And should you decide to go vet shopping, check my signature link Vet Interview Topics for some things to use to rule in or out candidate vets.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Has your vet actually tested Lexi's blood sugars?
    I am surprised he would put her on the dry food and not follow up with a blood test to see how she was going on it.
    I think you definitely need to look for another vet who knows more up to date treatments for feline diabetes.
    BJM has told you the 4 things you need to do to help your Lexi.
    She needs to start on a good insulin.
    She needs low carb, high protein canned food.....NO dry.
    You are testing .....that is great.
    You are committed to helping Lexi so you are set to go.......
    Now you need a good vet who understands feline diabetes. Don't let your current vet railroad you into doing anything you know is not good for Lexi. He may be a great vet with lots of other ailments but doesn't seem to have had much up to date experience with FD.
    I would also get some ketone test strips which you can get at the pharmacy....they test the urine for ketones and sugar.
    The sooner you get started on insulin the better it will be for Lexi.
    You have done really well with all the research on your own :):bighug:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  6. DiSwan

DiSwan New Member

When home testing, is it normal for the readings to be higher in the morning, before/after feeding, etc..., or should they always be pretty consistent?

7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Blood glucose (BG) levels fluctuate during the day. Exercise may lower BG. BG will rise in response to eating, but if the pancreas does manage to pulse enough insulin in response to the incoming food, BG levels may drop a bit a couple of hours after food.

Other things can also affect blood glucose levels: vet stress may raise it; infections or other illness may raise it; even brewing up a hairball or a poop can impact BG levels! Also, natural fluctuations in the cat's internal systems will also affect BG levels; for example, some cats' BG levels tend to be a bit lower at night.

Home testing will enable you to gather data to start learning what Lexi's patterns are; and if you need to start insulin it will enable you to track how she's responding to the insulin and guide you on when dose adjustments may be needed.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.