Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bandit

Bandit Member

Hi folks,

My cat Bandit was diagnosed a few days ago, and I might be needing some advice and kinship, so starting a profile w/ introduction is good internet etiquette.

Bandit climb the steps onto my mother's porch 6 years ago as a feral 12oz kitten. He picked me/us. My cat of 20+ years passed away a few months after we got Bandit, and my house would have been empty if not for him.

Now it's my turn to help him.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Good insulin are the human Lantus and Levemir and the pet insulins ProZinc and BCP PZI. For those two human insulin it is best to get the 5 pack of 3 ml disposable pens via a 10 ml vial. Although per ml the vial is less expensive most cats will not use up a 10 ml vial before the insulin goes bad/becomes ineffective. The human insulin N/NPH is sometimes prescribed but only lasts 8-10 hours. Same for the pet insulin Vetsulin/Caninisulin.
    Most of us here test or cats blood glucose at home using a human meter. We test before each shot and periodically between shots. We record our reading and other info in a spreadsheet. See:http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...te-a-ss-and-link-it-in-your-signature.130337/
    What are you feeding? A low-carb canned is best. No reason for a prescription food. Here is a list of commercial low-carb cannedhttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/shortcut-shopping-list-all-8-or-less-updated.117688/

Here is a link to home testing blood sugarshttp://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

3. Philippe & Mei Li

Philippe & Mei Li Member

4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to you and Bandit. He sure is a handsome boy, so glad you are willing to help him. Diabetes can seem a bit overwhelming at first, but with a little education and some help from the folks here, you'll be well on your way to giving Bandit all the help he needs. Let us know about your kitty. What he's eating, & is he on insulin and if so, how much and what kind? Do you home test? We recommend that you do especially if Bandit is on insulin, because that's the only way to be certain that you are giving a safe dose. Again, welcome and feel free to ask any and all questions!

5. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome Bandit and Bandit's carer! You'll find everything you could ever possibly want to know about feline diabetes here, as well as all the support you could ever want/need. No question too small or silly :)

6. Bandit

Bandit Member

Thanks folks,

Already got some calming advice over at the PZI thread. First shot went good just got delayed 12 hrs. Getting a tester, and lances for the 19th, when do an every 2hour testing and send the results to the Dr. See you in the other forums.

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to the message board, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!). This saves you the cost of going to the vet for curves and done regularly, removes the need for a fructosamine test. All of our insulin guidelines use human glucometer numbers for reference.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet. Food changes should be gradual to avoid GI upsets - 20-25% different food each day until switched. There are 2 low carb, dry, over the counter foods in the US - Evo Cat and Kitten dry found at pet specialty stores and Young Again 0 Carb found online.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir. No insulin lasts 24 hours in the cat, so giving it every 12 hours is optimal for control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.