Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jupplyr

Jupplyr New Member

We were just told my skion has diabetes and I'am scared I've read all I can find and have switched him to wet food but he is a worrier and doesn't like change, does anyone have suggestions to make it easier for him. Anything is welcome thanks

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. I'm sorry your kitty has been diagnosed with diabetes, but you've come to the right place. It's good that you are transitioning him to a low carb wet food. Try doing it slowly, mixing the new food with the old and gradually increasing the new while decreasing the old. If that doesn't work, post again for more suggestions. Are you using insulin yet? If not, then go ahead with the switch in food now, but if you are, then you need to home test Skions BGs to be sure it is ok to give the insulin. A change in food can lower his glucose and you'll need to adjust the insulin dose. And don't forget to take a deep breath. It is a scary diagnosis, but is doable and everyone here will help you along, just ask any questions you have.

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. Now take a deep breath and relax. This isn't nearly as hard as you're thinking it will be. Everyone on this board has been through those initial days of feeling scared so we understand but we've all managed to get into a comfortable routine and you and Skion will do the same. The best thing you can do to help Skion adjust to any changes is to relax. Our little furballs pick up on our stress amazingly well so if you can adopt a "can do, no sweat" attitude, Skion will probably have an easier time getting used to a new routine.

A lot of cats here actually come to be tested and get their shots. Mine will often start "talking" to me and jump up on her table at shot time. Finding one spot in the house where you will test and do the shots is usually helpful. Sometimes a little desensitizing helps kitty adapt to the testing and shots. It's just a matter of taking things one step at a time.

The more we know about Skion, the more we can help. For example, tell us a little more about Skion like his age, breed, weight, cuddly cat or not so much etc. Did the vet prescribe insulin? If so what kind and at what dose? Did the vet recommend home testing his blood sugar? If so, have you purchased a meter yet? Does Skion have any other health issues?

Let us know what more specific information we can provide to help you. The folks here are priceless when it comes to advice and support and everyone loves to share what they've learned. Ask all the questions you want and I'm sure we can help you and Skion on this new journey.

4. Jupplyr

Jupplyr New Member

Thank you so much skion is 9 and healthy otherwise domestic short hair he's not on insulin as of yet this is very new

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

Did the vet want you to try the diet change before deciding if insulin is needed? Did the vet want you to come back to get Skion's glucose reading checked again in a week or two? Do you know what the reading was at the vet when Skion was diagnosed? The glucose readings taken in the vet's office are often elevated due to stress, sometimes as much as 100 points or more, so home monitoring gives a much more accurate glucose reading than those obtained at the vet's.

6. Jupplyr

Jupplyr New Member

We have to go back for more info in a couple weeks. From what we read dry food was a big no so we moved skion to only wet food in hopes we won't have to give him as much insulin

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  7. MrWorfMen's Mom

Sounds like a good plan to change diet before starting insulin. Getting Skion onto a wet low carb food might bring his glucose levels down a fair bit and depending on how high his number was, could lower it enough that he can be diet controlled. Fingers crossed! Is Skion eating the canned food without a fuss or is that change proving to be an issue for him?

8. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Specifically, you want to feed low carb, over the counter, canned food, such as Friskies Pates or Fancy Feast Classic pates in the USA.
    There's a food list at Cat Info as well as tons of good info there.

9. Jupplyr

Jupplyr New Member

Thanks for the help the info has me less worried about skion and that's helping him relaxe

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  10. Jupplyr

Jupplyr New Member

Skion went to get his first insulin shot today and it went well I learned how to do the shots so wish us luck

11. MrWorfMen's Mom

Glad to hear things went well. We'll keep our fingers crossed all goes smoothly for you and Skion. And if you need any assistance or have any questions as you move forward learning the steps to this sugar dance, just holler and someone will be along to help you out! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.