Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CricketW

CricketW New Member

I've been lurking, but haven't posted yet because honestly, I've been so busy managing my cat's diagnosis and his needs for now. But there's a lull in the action and I wanted to say thank you for this forum and for all the people offering advice and a shoulder here!

A couple of weeks ago, my middle cat Cygnus started to really drink tons of water and urinate a lot. I took him to the vet on 5/14 and his glucose levels were at 480. I know a bit about diabetes on the human side of the equation already, but I hadn't thought my five-year-old cat would suddenly develop it.

I had to leave him at the vet so they could stabilize him - the other choice was to bring him back to the office twice a day 'til stabilized, which had me weighing which would be most traumatic for him. It was awful. We picked him up Wednesday and the vet wasn't interested in talking about changing his diet - except to w/d food - and he wasn't interested in calibrating my glucose meter or talking about home testing. He pretty much just wanted me to give Cy 3 units of insulin in the AM, 2 in the PM, and that would be that.

We've always fed our cats "high quality" kibble. I put that in quotes now because the more I read, the more I realize that there's really no such thing. Our 10-year-old Maine coon mix is a picky eater, and has never wanted anything but kibble. Now I know that's likely because the kibble is so addictive for them.

I brought Cy home Wednesday and we immediately started the switch to canned food. He responded immediately and has eaten like a champ. His numbers have fluctuated a little bit, but we're getting a handle on that and gradually reducing his insulin, too. Everybody else is adjusting to the changes in the menu offerings and we're gradually finding our new normal.

Anyway, that's our story for now, and I'm really happy to have found this forum. :)

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome!

CricketW likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome, I'm glad you are adjusting. It takes awhile, but it's doable. There's the possibility of remission with diet, happened to us. Be sure to keep testing before injecting, especially with the diet change.

CricketW likes this.
  4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Welcome!!

CricketW likes this.
  5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! Sounds like you are on top of things.

CricketW likes this.
  6. CricketW

CricketW New Member

Thank you for the kind words, everyone! <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.