High ALT??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (The Main Forum)' started by Adam Flowers, Nov 5, 2018.

  1. Adam Flowers

    Adam Flowers Member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2017
    Mogee had his predental bloodwork done and the results came back tonight. My vet seemed concerned and we went in to have an xray done to rule out any masses. We are awaiting the radiologist to look them over but the vet said she does not see any masses but that he may have an enlarged aorta. It appeared large in one xray but not all three. She said it may have been the way he was laying.

    His ALT was super high: 482.

    I will upload his bloodwork below. Please comment if anything stands out to you. Really appreciate it.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Adam Flowers

    Adam Flowers Member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2017
    Bloodwork results
     

    Attached Files:

  3. Chris & China

    Chris & China Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 10, 2013
    @Marje and Gracie is the best person to look into your labs

    She isn't here as much as she used to be, but she checks in fairly often so hopefully she'll see the tag and have something useful to tell you.
     
    Adam Flowers likes this.
  4. Larry and Kitties

    Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    Alt is a liver value. Is Mogee eating normally?
    Is the stool normal?
    The hematocrit is high. That could be an indicator of dehydration.
     
  5. tiffmaxee

    tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2013
    If there is any doubt about the aorta I strongly recommend you see a cardiologist. This happened with Max and the radiologist said it was the way he was laying down. That was wrong . I lost him to heart disease a few months after. I got an ultrasound at that point but it was too late. He had kidney disease too. I hope it’s not the same for you. Had I seen the cardiologist sooner he might have been helped.

    The ALT is related to the liver. It’s high enough to be concerned. I’d recheck it and if still high see a specialist.
     
  6. FurBabiesMama

    FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2017
    @Adam Flowers, how is Mogee? Please give us an update on what is going on with him. I hope he is okay. :bighug:
     
  7. Adam Flowers

    Adam Flowers Member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2017
    @FurBabiesMama Mogee seems to be getting better. This past week has been super stressful. I heard back from the vet on Wednesday, after she spoke to the radiologist. His aorta was fine, his liver was a bit enlarged but they didn't seem concerned and they did mention it looked like he may have gallstones. We had a ultrasound to rule out that.

    The vet recommended I increase his dose to 3 units, twice a day. That was Saturday. Since then, along with the antibiotic we have him on amox/clav, his numbers have been great. He seems to be eating normal again as well.

    He was in the green for the first time in over 3 months last night and was there again this morning. I am concerned though as his preshots have been high.

    Basically, the vet postponed the dental until we could get his ALT figured out, and now she believes it is due to how unregulated he has been. So I am finishing up this antibiotic and we will do another round of bloodwork next Tuesday to see if his ALT uas gone down at all and if so, proceed with the dental.

    Still crazy how he was going into the green daily on 1.5 units, twice a day and now he needs 3. I still sum it up to him needing the dental.
     

    Attached Files:

  8. FurBabiesMama

    FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2017
    Thanks for the update! Dental issues can definitely raise their glucose. I hope he is able to have that taken care of next week.

    If you get past this and the pre-shot numbers remain high, you may want to consider changing to Levemir. You have certainly given Prozinc a good long chance. With Mia, I got to the point where she went into good numbers each cycle, but she still had pre-shot numbers that were too high. If I raised the dose any at all, she would end up going too low during the cycle, so there was just no way to ever knock down the pre-shots. She was getting over 250 (renal threshold w/AlphaTrak) every day, and I hated that. There was also too much difference between the AM and PM pre-shots (always highest in AM), and nothing I tried 'fixed' that. She was getting a 2.5 dose of Prozinc when we switched. We started with a 1.5 dose of Levemir, and have been able to gradually reduce that. She now gets a drop - yes, literally, a drop. I feel like she may actually have a chance at remission. Even if that does not happen, she is super well regulated. I couldn't have imagined this months ago. If you look at her spreadsheet at the first of the year, it's 'skittles'. If you scroll to now, it's ALL blue and green, and her AM and PM pre-shots are pretty similar. I know it has to be better on her system for things to stay so level/consistent. Anyway, just wanted to share that with you.

    Let us know how things go next week!
     

Share This Page