High BG due to anitbiotics

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Msbrigitta, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Msbrigitta

Msbrigitta Member

Merlin had extensive Dental Surgery done 2 days ago. He's on Clindamycin and alsoTramadol for the pain. His BG are normally fairly well regulated but are now between 300-390. Can it be caused by the antibiotics or maybe it's just the stress? Getting that Tramadol in him is a fight!

2. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

I can't say for sure but my guess is it could be a combination of pain, stress and the meds. You could call your vet. Do keep testing, though. Maybe the BGs will settle down once he heals from the surgery.

3. LauraMcK

LauraMcK Member

Finn’s was 180-250 pre-dental and hovered around 400 post-dental for about a week. They gave him more pain meds yesterday (1 week post dental) because he was still not seeming well. Tonight was the first good reading I’ve gotten since his dental (185!). This is our first dental so I have nothing to compare it to but for us it’s taking some time to recover. Hopefully your Merlin heals a bit quicker than my Finn

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

If the clindamycin is a liquid, chances are one of the ingredients is a sweetener which could cause BG numbers to run higher than normal... unless it was compounded specifically without for Merlin. If the clindamycin is in pill form, it shouldn't be a problem.

5. Msbrigitta

Msbrigitta Member

Thank you Bama kitty, Laura and Jill. It's good to hear from people who're going through this whole sugar-baby thing and understand that you worry ... Yeah, I think it's probably a combination of stress, pain and meds too. The clindamycin is liquid and besides the 'working' ingredient of clindamycin hydrochloride it only contains ethyl alcohol, so it 'should' be OK? He eats fine, which I think is amazing if you have 4 roots, 2 molars and 1 incisor removed, but those darn BGs .. sigh ... I just hope he doesn't develop an infection of some sort ... I'll give him a week, I think, before I panic for real .. let's keep my fingers crossed ..

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Pet liquid clindamycin does not contain any sweetner. It tastes very bitter and one of my vets said to add some artificial sweetener to make it more palatable. Other liquid antibiotics may contain sugars and flavorings since they are really repackaged pediatric meds

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  7. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thanks, Larry. Good to know!

8. Msbrigitta

Msbrigitta Member

I hope you're right Larry. I sweetened the clindamycin this morning and an hour later his BG came in HI! which means, more than 600!!! It's probably unrelated though. I guess the surgery, stress and pain is throwing everything off! I gave him a 'full' shot and at 1 pm he came in at 444, after which I gave him another. Four days after surgery he has now also developed diarrhea which I kind-of expected already .. sigh .. I'm worried sick but I've told myself I'll give him a week ... I mean, how would I feel when they extracted 4 roots, 3 molars and an incisor! He still eats like a wolf, like nothing happens .. cats are amazing, aren't they?

9. Msbrigitta

Msbrigitta Member

Laura, I think he does a similar thing as Finn! I give him a week before I panic ...

10. Msbrigitta

Msbrigitta Member

Thank goodness he's back to somewhat 'normal'! BG last night 330, this morning 260 and this evening 160! Phew, I feel I can relax a little ...

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.