? High calorie low carb food for IBD kitty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa and Smoky, Feb 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Smoky has a multitude of health problems, one of them is IBD. He is having a lot of problems absorbing his food and has lost weight. My vet recently put him on budesonide for the IBD but he has lost more weight. I asked the vet about B-12 injections but she doesn't think he needs them. I hate seeing him look so sick and miserable all the time.

Smoky went from 14 lbs down to 7.5 lbs back in mid August shortly before his diagnosis of FD. His vet also says he is slightly anemic. Does anyone have any suggestions for a higher calorie food I can give him that is OK for IBD kitties to have? I would like to find out about meds or supplements to help him with the IBD.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Reason for edit: Add on to post
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

How was the IBD diagnosed?
    Will Smokey just eat more food?
    I would use B12 shots. I have used it on my older cats and cats with DRF and "IBD" diagnosed by elimination. B12 shots can't hurt.

3. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Smoky was diagnosed with triaditis in Oct of 2016. I will have to ask my vet about the B-12 injections again. He had an ultrasound done plus had the clinical signs for IBD. Would the zobaline help him at all? He does eat about four to five 3 oz cans per day most of the time.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    Reason for edit: Add on to post
  4. spotsmon

spotsmon New Member

5. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I don't know if AD is IBD approved but it is a high calorie moisture rich food and about 12% carb.

I have been using this. https://www.animalbiome.com

It may be worth looking into-
    My boy had water poo but others have stated that it is also very good for vomiting.

I am giving it to my diabetic too it seems to help the bouncing.
    prayers.....

JanetNJ likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If he's slightly anemic he absolutely should be getting b12!

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.