High CK Levels anyone?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Punkyp, Aug 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Punkyp

Punkyp Member

Does anyone have experience w/ high CK levels in their cats bloodwork? Mine came up to 1649, normal range is 64-440.
    CK is very important in storing energy needed for muscle contractions. High levels indicate muscle trauma or damage such as due to seizures, surgery, bruises, inflammation, nutritional and degenerative diseases. Low levels are not clinically relevant.

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Excuse my ignorance but I am a Sweden, but what is CK short for?

3. Punkyp

Punkyp Member

4. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

Many cats will have elevated CK levels if they struggled during the blood draw (contracting muscles etc)

5. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

6. Punkyp

Punkyp Member

Really???? That is very interesting.. would it shoot up that much though?
    May I ask do you have personal knowledge of this CK level? I'm goinmg to a vet tomorrow & I was wondering if there are any specific questions I could ask about it.

7. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

No personal experience however I have read responses from Jess and Earl, shes a vet tech. she hasnt been posting much lately but she has said that just struggling during blood draw can raise it. I searched for one of the threads and found this one..
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=32188&p=334573&hilit=jess cpk#p334573

The labs show level was 893.

I am not sure how high it has to be for it to be significant. Muscle wasting, as in kidney disease, and anorexia, can also elevate it, and since the heart is a muscle it can elevate with heart disease..although Merlyns was never elevated with his cardiomyopathy.

8. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

After receiving the full blood work up on Civvie Slappy, the CK1 WAS 4671! Anyone got any ideas why it is sooo high and why the vet did not mention it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.