High Dose ? Oreo Joe Glucose going up!!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Bonnie & Oreo Joe, Aug 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

Good morning,
    Oreo Joe's spread sheet shows far more dark pinks than the yellow's he was in. Is this normal? He was higher today than he has been in weeks. He was just given 11½ U AMPS was 331! His spread sheet shows nothing is happening, the +3 or +4 hour has even gone up!
    We see the vet Tuesday. I need her to check his tummy it is hard. He has lots of stools everyday his tummy has been harder than I thought normal for a long time but somehow I am feeling it is more so or I am a panicked Mom. Way back in the end of last year. The vet felt a walnut size lump but then later it was much softer and she said it wasn't changing. That pops into my head. But it is the insulin ? that you can answer. If you have had a kitty doing what Oreo Joe is doing let me know.
    Thank you!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Those pinks aren't out of the ordinary relative to your other numbers, Bonnie. I'm glad you're seeing the vet soon. Ask her about his seeming lack of response. Ask her whether she's familiar with high dose conditions in cats. Where was that lump located? That certainly warrants a recheck.

Djamila likes this.
  3. Bonnie & Oreo Joe

Bonnie & Oreo Joe Member

Thanks for easing my mind again! If Oreo Joe was a female the lump was where the uterus would be. She pushed my fingers in until I felt it too. But I can't feel it by myself. I think I am afraid to push that hard. None of the vets at the clinic have taken care of a diabetic cat. But this new one that I have begun to ask for since our vet is out on indefinite sick leave has been reading up on it. Last talk she said that we were doing the right thing and to continue raising the dose as I have been. She never felt the lump but she has experience and knows what she is talking about. As opposed to the other one that had been getting my calls since Dr. P has been sick, who talks like she knows what is happening but is wrong most of the time with him.
    Hugs, Bonnie

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That lump could have been constipation related, etc. but definitely ask about it tomorrow. Ask the vet about Lantus insulin. It should prove to be cheaper to use in a high dose kitty because it's 2.5 times more concentrated than ProZinc.

5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I wonder if Levemir would be better than Lantus considering the dose? It may be worth asking about both of them - availability and cost. If your current vet is reading up on things, you could refer her to the Lantus/Levemir forum to get more information about both of them to help you make the best decision.

Sharon14 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

I agree and already suggested Levemir.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.