? High GB Reading

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by bxkitty, Nov 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bxkitty

bxkitty Member

Hi everyone.

I just had a question about Sophia's readings for today...I tested her this morning and she was in the 500s range, so I gave her the 1 unit of insulin (that's what she's been prescribed so far). I wasn't home earlier today, so I couldn't test her again later on to see how her numbers were reading. I just tested her again a few minutes ago since her shot/food schedule is soon, and she is still in the 500s (higher than this morning). I plan on giving her 1 unit again.

I've had her current insulin bottle since late September that she was diagnosed. Could this mean that I may have to pick up a new prescription bottle or that my vet might end up prescribing a higher dosage?...I know nothing can be said for sure before I test her again in a few hours, but I was wondering, in your experiences, what I could potentially expect the reason to be. (My vet's office doesn't open until 8am, and the vet doesn't seem to get in until about 10am...)

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looking at Sophia's SS I can see that there are many times you are not giving insulin at shot time. I am assuming this is because she is under 200. Is this correct?
    Lantus works best when you are able to shoot twice a day, so I think you need to reduce the dose to 0.5 units twice a day and see if you can get high enough BSLs so you can give the insulin both morning and night.
    You have not done many inbetween tests so we are unable to see what she does during the cycle. Even getting a +2 test is helpful.
    I think she could well be bouncing at the moment and that is why you are seeing numbers in the pink and black. Bounces can last for up to 6 cycles. They are normal especially in newly diagnosed cats.
    Has she had a history of DKA or ketones at all? It is always good in unregulated cats to test their urine for ketones. You can do this by buying a bottle of KETOSTIX from your pharmacy, collecting a urine sample and following the directions on the bottle. It is a simple test but important.

I think your current bottle of Lantus should be fine as long as you have been storing it in the frig ......put it in the main part of the frig, not in the door. An opened bottle of Lantus, if kept in the frig should last up to 6 months.

Adding information in the remarks column is very helpful......such as what you fed, when you fed and any issues you had that day.

Keep asking lots of questions, we are very happy to help and support you.
    Bron

ETA have you decided if you are following the Start Low Go Slow protocol or the TR protocol.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    Reason for edit: Added question
  3. Sybil and Zoe

Sybil and Zoe Member

I see where she has had really low numbers so far and it seems odd that she would suddenly jump to the 500s. Any chance she might have a UTI brewing? Or any other type of infection? Just a thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.