High/Low spiking and work

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi Member

well it’s monday, UGH, and I am a little concerned with giving Gretchen her bit higher dose and leaving. She’s been spiking from high 400’s to low 100’s. I won’t be here to watch her and I worry a bit about her going hypo while I’m gone for 12 hours.
    On the other hand I don’t want to give her the lower dose with her numbers going down.

Isn’t this spiking back and forth hard on her?? With Novilin will this ever even out?

There is no place around me that has Prozinc. I called every pharmacy. My vet is old school (self admitted) and had never heard of it. It’s is too expensive to mail order with the required overnight plus I wouldn’t be here to get it so it would sit in a hot mailbox in the heat of the afternoon. Not only all this- I just don’t want to be tied down to something I can only get via mail! There’s just something very uncomfortable about not having it on hand locally.

I hate this spiking. She seems to be acting ok but yikes what that’s got to be putting her through!

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Hi. I got my first bottle of ProZinc from a vet's office that kept some on hand, but every other vial I ordered online and had shipped. It was shipped in a little cooler with a cold pack. It was too big to sit in a mailbox; it was a package delivery. I have heard that allivet.com has the best price though I did not use them. It is still pretty expensive though. I was going to ask if you have considered Levemir or Lantus since those you can get from a pharmacy, but they are pretty expensive, too.

3. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

N
    the “L” ones are yes, too expensive and wouldn’t work well with my schedule. I’d rather have her on one that doesn’t “overlap” (?) It hasn’t happened yet, but there will be nights I don’t make it home in time to give her pm shot. Call night, trees down from storms etc...

4. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  5. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, you're experiencing the nature of N in cats. You can try to feed the drop to even things out a bit, but it's hard with your schedule. Some use timed feeders but that might not be viable since Gretchen prefers company to eat and you have other cats.

Prozinc is a veterinary insulin so the vet should be able to order it for you. Tubby was the only one at my clinic who was on it and my vet had no problem keeping a bottle or two in stock for me. Some of the best vets I've dealt with over the years are old-school but were open minded to the info I brought them. Your vet might learn something if you go the Prozinc route and, hey, that might ultimately help him better treat future feline diabetics in his practice. Bonus. And if you don't like Prozinc, you can always go back to N.

6. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Semi close! Would they all carry it? I’d drive an hour...course the gas it would use in my truck would be about same as shipping :smuggrin:

7. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I plan on printing some stuff and her ss for him. He was very open to looking in to it.

I saw Gretchen in nibbling on her Young Again a couple times yesterday. BTW she is eating better...she has decided she doesn’t like that KPlus in her food ha ha! Plus with the in between meal snacking she’s not as hungry.

I better get out and feed horses...I seem to always be late to work these days!

8. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

Would people’s advice be to give her the 2.5 as I am leaving? So her numbers look too low to “risk” it? I am using a pet meter btw...I think I have the wrong ss going.

9. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

She is 302 now. I won’t be giving shot for a about an hour and half, but needed to test while horse pellets are soaking

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If 2.5 u worries you, try 2.25 u or 2 u. your peace of mind is very important.

11. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

My syringes don’t have half marks, they’re in my wishlist :) but yeah I’ll give her a low 2.5. I won’t have time to test but right now she’s going at her Beyond like it’s her last meal. I hate to go back to 2 and come home to high 500’s tonight.

12. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

No! The ones in my area do not. So, definitely call first.

13. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

So the 302 is at +10.5, correct?

You might want to update your spreadsheet to show that as the +10 from last night and leave today's PS blank. Otherwise it looks like the PS is significantly lower than what you've been seeing (at least to me).

She'll probably keep going up until shot time but one never knows with cats. I like your idea of going light on the dosage since you won't be around to monitor.

14. Gretchen(sugarbaby)&bobbi

I know my ss is such a mess. I didn’t have time to test again but I’m betting she was up. I will go fix that though,,,

15. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

They should all carry it, and if not, at least they'd be able to order it pretty quickly. If your vet can call it in first they should let you know when they get it in, if they don't already have it in stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.