High mornings/low evenings

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by CassAndGordy(GA), Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

Has anyone experienced their cat not needing PM shots?

Gordy has been for the past week been in the 350-450 range in the morning but only around 200 in the evenings. Tonight he was at 174. He has the SAME routine for AM & PM in regards to food. This is resulting in him having his PM skipped or having a reduced dose.

I'm going to make a checkup appt for his with the Vet when I return home with either way this thread goes.

(Sorry, I am away on vacation, so I don't have the specific numbers entered into his spreadsheet. Its more of a general question.)

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

If you have a run of too low to shoot numbers it can indicate the dose is a little too high. If it becomes a long term pattern you could try shifting shot times away from every 12 hours to 13 hours between AM and PM shots (which gives 11 hours between PM and AM shots. This gives an extra hour for BG to rise before PM shot and catches the AM number before it gets too high.

3. CassAndGordy(GA)

This is actually impossible for me most of the time, because 4 nights a week (currently), i only have a 40 minute window to get him tested, fed and dosed between jobs. (For this, I hate living alone =/)

I am going to reach out to my vet. i want to do a curve for his AM cycle, but won't be able to until NEXT sunday. this morning he was at 353 for his shot, so the sitter gave him his normal dose (2.5U). and then he was at 193 for his PM... so we skipped for the 3rd night.

Part of me is excited for these numbers, but the other part is super confused.

4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Your high AM numbers could be from going low overnight. You have a lot of blue and some greens in the overnight cycles on your SS. If you dose in the AM based on that high bounce number, it might be too high a dose causing a long cycle in the day. When you dose again in the PM it might be adding to any residual effect from the AM dose leading to some lower overnight numbers, another AM bounce number and so on. Maybe try 2 u or eyeball 2.25 u AM and PM for a few cycles?

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to agree to lower the dose just a little and see what happens. I would do 2.25 when you are in the pinks. I would really like to see the numbers in the ss from the last few days through. Can you update it please?

6. CassAndGordy(GA)

I'll lower it to 2 for right now. My syringes don't sadly have ths markings for 2.25 so i dont think I can give that consistently -- I have been eyeballing the 2.5

Once I am home from vacation I can update (and so spend time with Gordy).

He was 340 this morning according my sitter update.

(I really hate that this weird pattern started happening without me beinf home!)

ETA: I updated my SS as best as I could. I had to go back and forth from programs on my phone to get it. I'll double check everything when I get back. (The sitter has been logging everything for me.)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  7. CassAndGordy(GA)

Ok, I'm back home and have all the numbers entered in the SS.

I'm thinking that the dose given on 11/4 AM was too much for the low number and that was the beginning of this strange bounce pattern.

I am liking that the AM numbers seem to be going down, even when no shot was given in the PM. Yesterday's number are odd (in a good way?); for some reason the sitter didn't give him anything last night even though he was at 263. I was thinking that I'd have a high number this morning, but I was pleasantly surprised at a 308.

Now that I'm back, I have a call into the Vet for him to look at the numbers and a tentative appointment for Monday. I'll be doing a curve on Sunday.

8. CassAndGordy(GA)

Update: Vet was frustrated that I wasn't doing 3U like he told me. I figured that. He didn't want me to haul Gordy in, just told me to dose 3U 2x a day.

I don't have the sheet updated but he was mid-300s for his PM shot and then in the blue for a +4 and +5. This morning he was around 380 AMPS. So I've gone back to doing the 2.5U and if it holds for the next few days, I'll increase. My only concern with 3U is that he was getting readings mid-cycle in the green with the 2.5U (which is good from my understanding), so the 3U may be too much.

I don't currently have needles that will measure the 0.25 increments. :(

9. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I bought some u40 syringes that have half markings on them from Carepoint. I get them from ADW and they work for me for the .25 units dosing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.