High Numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NeneFeroz, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeneFeroz

NeneFeroz New Member

Hello.
    Back in mid January, while searching for my missing Calico online, I found a post about a very skinny cat (Bobby). Long story short, I decided to adopt him. While I knew he was a fixed feral (ear tipped), I took him to the vet for a full exam. A week later we returned and he was diagnosed with Diabetes II. I started him on Lantus (Vet's recommended), but after 40 days he had an episode. I knew he wasn't getting any better, so I switched to the Walmart brand (very efficient if you have the time to give it every 8 hours). Bc of work, I had to switch again. This time I did a deeper research and found out about PZI being closer to cats' system. So far it's been not what I expected. His numbers are way high!. Only once they hit mid 100's, and I believe it's bc I fed him raw meat at shot time.
    So, since raw food can control BG efficiently, wouldn't it be better to transition his diet on that direction?.
    He's on a low carb wet food right now (mainly flaked friskies 6%). In between shots, he gets raw chicken, beef, or gizzards/hearts.
    My only concern is about all the vitamins/minerals/nutrients I may be missing on a raw diet.
    Any thoughts?

PS: My Relion Glucometer gives me different readings from the same blood sample (today 390/470), but Bobby was at the Vet yesterday for a 6 hour curve with their system, and theirs is the same (different readings, not much difference between both glucometers)
    Thank You

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,

There is two websites with recipes for serving raw food. TCfeline http://tcfeline.com/ or catinfo.org http://catinfo.org/ There are supplements that you can buy to add to the raw meat as well to make it complete. TC Feline sells one or there is EZComplete from Food for Life http://www.foodfurlife.com/.

I take it you are home testing - congratulations.

NeneFeroz likes this.
  3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Nene and Bobby!
    Hypoglycemic episode or DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) episode? Were you home testing while on Lantus?

Diet controlled diabetic kitties is not a common situation and with his numbers, Bobby may not be one of those kitties. Sounds like you are home testing though, which is great! Would you be willing to setup a spreadsheet so we can see his numbers? Just need a google e-mail and if you need help, just ask: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    There are supplements because you are correct in that straight raw proteins are not a complete diet. Catinfo.org has some great information about homemade diets. Will wait to learn your general location before just throwing some supplement names at you ;).

This is where setting up your Signature is helpful too, gives some quick information about Bobby and is where your Spreadsheet link will be added, if you decide to use one. Also, helps those of us with bad memories: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/editing-your-signature-profile-and-preferences.130340/

Glucometer's are allowed a 20% variation, so there is a greater difference at higher numbers and lesser difference at lower numbers. The 390 has a range of roughly 312 - 468. I know, it stinks :p.

Lastly, and you may have already been through this, I will still leave you with this: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

We would be glad to try and help you get Bobby's numbers under control :cat:. Feel free to ask any questions on the Main Health Forum.

NeneFeroz likes this.
  4. NeneFeroz

NeneFeroz New Member

Thank you both for the info.

Although a read about numbers being. +/- 20%, and the vet's meter does the same, these readings are out of control.

This morning, before shot, I got 387. I was kind of surprised, but happy that they weren't in the 500's... but the second reading (same blood) told me otherwise... ok, I'm gonna stick w/difference: 445

Two hours later I get that 317, expecting to get a 400 on second reading, instead I get a lower one at 236! Mid ground: 275.

Vet said Bobby shouldn't go below 180.
    Let's see what the numbers are at 4th hour.

Although his nadir hits around the 5th hour, i can not let him slip past this numbers. Going to work soon, but will be able to test right at the 5th. So, with numbers at 200, I have to feed him some carbs (), I decided to go with the friskies concoctions (158 kcal)....

5:45 At work right now. I believe the numbers will start going up soon. Asked my neighbor to check on him every 90 minutes. She doesn't know how to test, unfortunately.

06/04/17
    Time. 1st #. 2nd #
    12:00 387. 510
    2:00. 317. 236!!!.. Crazy
    4:00. 200. 197
    5:00. 215. 225
    5:15. 192. 184

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Reason for edit: Update
  5. Yong & Maury GA

Are these on two different meters?

6. NeneFeroz

NeneFeroz New Member

No, same meter, same blood, two samples (droplets)

7. Yong & Maury GA

What meter? Those higher numbers have a greater variation than 20%. But seems to be better at your 16:00 reading :confused:

8. NeneFeroz

NeneFeroz New Member

Hi, triedro to reply, but this kept telling me I was spam (?).
    I decided to do one reading at a time. Bobby doesn't like it that much, don't want to put more stress on him.
    He's been gaining some weight, when I inject, I can tell his fat is coming back.
    I do believe PZI is really helping him. While numbers are still high, they go all the way to 165 at the 6 hour mark.
    Will keep you updated (as long as I'm NOT spam, lol).

9. Yong & Maury GA

It's just a new member filter because there was a big wave of spam. Nothing you did :). Would you be willing to setup your Signature and Spreadsheet for Bobby?
    You should only have to do one reading at a time, unless it's a really weird number (higher or lower than usual like Pre-shot numbers). Example: My boy's PS the other night first test was 350 so I retested him because he hadn't gone that high in a while so I tested with a second strip and got 279. Glad Bobby is putting on a little weight :cat: but just like weight loss make sure it's not happening too fast ;)

NeneFeroz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.