High pmps

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jill & Jade, Jun 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill & Jade

Jill & Jade Well-Known Member

My girl just tested 365 for her pmps. This seems super high! She’s acting fine, was playing and such just before I tested her. Should I be concerned? Cause I kind of am. With the exception of her vet stay for her first treatment, this is the highest she’s tested.

2. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

I wouldn't worry too much. Could be any number of mundane things. Any tests you can get between +4 and +9 would be helpful in seeing how low she is going. Just in case it was a bounce or something.

beggargirl and Jill & Jade like this.
  3. Jill & Jade

Thanks for that, I will try to get a reading as soon as we get up! Appreciate the response, immensely.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

It's important to get some tests in on that PM cycle too....most cats go lower at night so it really is important.

Also, without tests on the PM cycle, you're missing half the data....and it could be the most important half!!

You don't have to stay up all night or anything....just getting a quick "before bed" test will let you know if you need to plan on setting an alarm to get more tests later.

A lot of us will also drink a lot of water in the evening so we "have" to get up in the middle of the night.....and well...as long as we're up, we might as well grab a quick test!!….LOL

Jill & Jade likes this.
  5. Jill & Jade

I run a restaurant in the evenings, so my hours are a bit wonky. I do get up to pee a lot in the middle of the night tho, so maybe I can test her then? I leave for work around 1;30pm and get back around 10-11pm which is why I don't have any in between numbers on her spreadsheet. :(

6. Jill & Jade

p.s. China is beautiful.

7. Chris & China (GA)

She says "Thank you" ;)

8. Chris & China (GA)

That will really help....if you can't test mid-cycle on the AM cycle (due to work or life in general), it's great to get any extra tests in you can....especially since most cats do go lower at night!

Jill & Jade likes this.
  9. Jill & Jade

Thank you. Also, I'm feeding her Fancy Feast Classic and Chunky varieties. Safe?? No dry at all anymore!

10. Chris & China (GA)

Yes...the Classics are all low carb and the Chicken and Turkey "chunky" are too

Jill & Jade likes this.
  11. Jill & Jade

I just resteated 2 hours after her shot and it’s 413!!!

12. Butterball

Butterball Member

You sure you’ve been getting the shots in? Didn’t get a fur shots? Happens to the best of us

Do you have dogs? Maybe been nibbling out their bowl?

Those are the most common things that attribute to a sporadic jump in my tests

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If it makes you feel better my cat had a 523 last night. I would have been happier with the 365. Lol. Don't let one high reading worry you unless it continues.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  14. Jill & Jade

None of the above. Just tested again ( +6.5 hours) and she’s at 295. Better, but still....

15. Jill & Jade

Yikes!! I just tested her (+6.5) and she’s at 295. Better, but still...

Chris & Lucy likes this.
  16. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

Could have been a bounce with this mornings PS number being lower than mid cycle. Really hard to tell. Since she has had blue PS regularly in the past there's a chance numbers could be dropping low during nadir. If you are worried about safety and unable to test mid cycle for a couple days due to work you can always back off to .75u for a few days and see what that does to her numbers. As time goes by you will be able to collect more data and get a better idea of what's going on.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  17. Jill & Jade

:nailbiting::blackeye:
    Appreciate the feedback! This morning amps was 269. I have a call into the Vet. And wouldn’t lowering her dose cause an increase in BG numbers? I thought insulin was to lower the BG??? I’m so confused ‍

18. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

Too much insulin can lower the bg too much and then the cat releases emergency sugar into the blood to compensate. That causes the bg to spike to keep kitty safe from hypo. Kitty's lowest number should be between +4-+6 on Lantus. Most of the Protocols use this number(nadir) to adjust dosing. Once you get a couple of those readings, you can use the PS numbers to guess what the insulin dose is going to do.

Jill & Jade likes this.
  19. Jill & Jade

Ok.. so do you think her spikes are from too much or too little? I hate to “guess” when it comes to insulin. I know that over time, I’ll be more confident in that department, but we’re only about 3 weeks into this diagnosis and treatment. I hate this. :(

20. Jill & Jade

My biggest fear is Hypo.

21. Chris & Lucy

Chris & Lucy Member

I can't say. I can just encourage you to keep testing and not get discouraged. You're doing a great job with the testing and getting the spreadsheet setup. FD is all about patience, and your still very early in the learning phase. It gets easier. And it does get less stressful. It's important to read all the stickies in the Lantus forum and understand how this insulin works. That's how you can do the best for Jade and for yourself. :bighug:

Jill & Jade likes this.
  22. Jill & Jade

Thank you!!!! :bighug:

23. Jill & Jade

Me again!! Just took a test before I leave for work and she’s at 140! That’s good... right??

24. Chris & China (GA)

Yes, that's a better number

Sure would like to see another test in a few hours, but know it's impossible...that's quite a drop for +3

I'd just hold the dose and do the best you can to get some additional tests when you can!

25. Jill & Jade

Should I be concerned that she’s gonna drop too low?? And by hold the dose, does that mean one unit at 11 pm?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.