Higher dose, higher BG???

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jill & Scooter, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Hi! Scooter and I are new to all this. We started on Vetsulin and his numbers were terrible. Changed to Lantus ( 1 u) and his BG came down to high 200's and low to mid 300's. I was pretty excited thinking we were really getting somewhere. After 5 days I moved him to 1.25u and his BG got higher gradually over 5 days. I took him back down to 1u and his BG came down again. The only explanation I can come up with is that his body is fighting his BG dropping so hard that more insulin made it fight harder. Has anyone else had the numbers go up with a dose increase? His numbers have improved the last two days, so I'm thinking I should maybe leave him at 1 u another week to give his body more time to adjust to lower numbers and see if they continue to improve??? We would greatly appreciate any advice!!!

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think keeping him at the 1U dose any longer is going to benefit him....his numbers are still too high

I'd go back to 1.25 and hold it for 6 cycles and then re-evaluate how he's doing.

The numbers we look at the most are the low ones and he's not getting anywhere near where we want him to be, so increasing is what I'd suggest.

Stacy & Asia likes this.
  3. Jill & Scooter

Jill & Scooter Well-Known Member

Thanks! I know his numbers are not where they need to be, but they're better on the Lantus! I just can't figure out why they went up when I increased his dose. I will try the increase again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.