Home, but not herself :(

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Jane (GA), May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

She's wobbly. Why? What can that be?

For now, she's on 2.5u Vetsulin 2x day. Will see our vet tomorrow. SHe's not meowling like normal, still drinking a lot, unsteady on her feet.

2. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

prolly still due to hi BG and HT. surprised they are still using vetsulin since there was a recall but maybe the vet sis not know. should be ok though til you get lantus

3. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Kris

I was sorry to see these recent posts of yours and hear that Jane's not feeling her best :sad: What was her BP when she was at the ER? Can you find out? Did they take chest x=rays by any chance?

4. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

bless you Jess - yes, I have a whole booklet full of her results. She was 681 at midnight Friday, 484 PS at +11 tonight. Her heart rate was elevated, T4 is above the guideline, cholesterol, too.

5. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Kris

No, sorry, I mean BP -> blood pressure. Did they do that too?

6. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

is there a fancy name for it? and what does QAR mean re attitude?

7. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Not really. The number will be followed by "mmHg" (the unit of measurement for BP), maybe it will say "systolic" and could say which leg and what size BP cuff, so for example:

BP 176mmHg, systolic, LFL #2 cuff.

If you don't see it, can you ask them?

HOw high is her T4? Did they give you a copy of her lab work, do you have that exact number?

8. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

I don't see anything on here like that -- I'll scan what I have, if you wouldn't mind having a look whenever you have time. You're such an amazing person.

9. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

QAR = Quiet, Alert, Responsive

(Hey Kris, hope Janie is feeling better soon ... I've been following your threads and am sending positive vibes)

10. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

She's not usually quiet -- they were lucky. ;)

I uploaded some of the scanned pages to mediafire -- here's the download link, Jess, and anyone else who's interested:

http://www.mediafire.com/?kzm0ojq2dfq

11. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Kris

No I don't see a BP there. Damn it. No mention of her prev cancer diagnosis either -- did you mention it to them?
    I'm sorry for not having the full story from all your posts -- it looks like the bloodwork was done on Friday, and she stayed there until today? Did they repeat her bloodwork? What were those results? I assume she was on fluids as well, righ

As for the wobbliness, if her BUN is still wildly elevated like that, there's one reason--a backup of toxins creating a fuzzy-mental state (encephalopathy). She could also be hypertensive (high blood pressure) and be having a hypertensive-hyperthyroid crisis that can affect the brain. I'd really like to know that they got a normal BP reading. Are they open now, can they look on her treatment sheets and tell you what her BP was? It's really very important.

Now obviously for being wobbly, she's not hypoglycemic, correct? And she's been eating something? Does she seem to have any visual problems, or problems otherwise recognizing you or your family? Is she "with it"? Or does she seem subdued/uninterested?

12. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

They knew about the cancer dx and surgeries - the last one was done there (daytime, it's a specialty clinic; at night, emergency clinic).

I just called and they said no, no BP was done -- that does seem odd, given her tachycardia, doesn't it?

SHe's just exhausted, seems like - and it's bloody hot here, so she's flopped on the floor. SHe ate almost half a can of FF just now, and I gave her the tapazole.

WHen's the last time somebody told you how wonderful you are? (Because you are.)

ETA - she was on IV fluids all weekend, and they said she had a good appetite. I do have full-body scans, but I can't open the files -- eFilm lite.

I'm going to test her at 10:30 -- that will be +3.5...

13. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Aargh! Yes, and the fact that she's 20 years old, and has renal disease, and is hyperthyroid, yes. Can you do me a favor and ask your vet tomorrow why the specialty hospital did not do a BP? S/he won't be able to give you an answer, of course, but s/he will be able to call the hospital and say "why didn't you do a frickin BP?" [Specialty hospitals hate to get a referring vet mad, so always complain to your regular vet and make sure they pass it on!]

Well I'm glad to hear she's eating, and sounds like she is at least mentally aware, right?

I should hope so, with that BUN! I wish they had run more blood today to check her BUN and creatinine. Hopefully your vet will do so tomorrow.

I'm always happy to help.
    Take care, and keep us posted.

14. Kris & Jane (GA)

Kris & Jane (GA) Member

I never would have thought of that -- complaining to our vet -- makes perfect sense.

Yes, she's very aware. She went to the cabinet for her treats at her usual time. I was so relieved and thrilled. She's been to her box, too, and rolls over to get her belly scratched.

Thank you SO MUCH. WIll update tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.