Home cooked food?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by KarrieK, Dec 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KarrieK

KarrieK Member

Just wondering if anyone's diabetic kitty eats a homecooked diet. My Simon has been on one (mostly, with some Fancy Feast supplemented) for 4 years due to his sisters IBD. It's very high protein (pork, turkey and rabbit) with Alnutrin supplement. Before his diagnosis, the only carbs he was getting was an occasional Temptation treat. Considering this, it's odd that he developed diabetes but now I'm wondering if I should continue with this menu for him.

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

A home cooked diet is excellent for your diabetic cat. While dry food and commercial products have often been labelled as the cause of diabetes and may play a role in some cases, there is usually an underlying genetic component in the mix. Just as you have fed a very appropriate diet to your cat and he now has diabetes, there are lots of cat who basically eat kitty crack all their lives who do not develop the condition.

KarrieK and Tomlin like this.
  3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Many people here feed their kitty a raw diet. I use EZComplete as my pre-mix.

Like Linda said, diet can be only one factor as to why diabetes develops. It's just like with humans -- not every diabetic is obese or eats a carb heavy diet.

KarrieK and Tomlin like this.
  4. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Hi

Here is Vet Lisa Pierson's information on home cooked food
    https://catinfo.org/making-cat-food/

She has a recipy too and I and Simba and Gustav tried that, but neither Simba or I could stand the liver :cat:

KarrieK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.