Home made food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Roops, Jun 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roops

Roops Member

I am happy to say Roops is feeling better or seems to be. The latest bout of diarrhea seems to have stopped. Back to normal now. He has much more energy, and is cleaning himself as well as purring. Happy cat, happy family.

But back to trying to switch him off undesirable canned cat food and kibble. Back to trying to get his blood sugar down, and hopefully improve his neuropathy.

We are back to trying IAMS Grain Free Perfect Portions but in small doses. We do not want to tax his system any more than it is already under. He gets one portion a day. Half in the early morning with a Zobaline pill, and half at the end of the day.

We have also slowly began introducing Fancy Feast Chicken pate.
    I do not want to feed him any fishy type product as I believe that has disastrous results for him. I believe he has a sensitivity to it.

We still offer him kibble but in limited amounts. I did buy GO! Natural Grain Free kibble (chicken, turkey, duck) but do not want to introduce it yet. We did offer him a few, and he readily ate it but decided to reintroduce all new products again slowly. btw this product smells like turtle food. My children later read the small print on the bag, and saw it included seafood. :( I may end up giving it away.

I was thinking home made food (not raw) perhaps better for our Roops since he as so many issues with switching over. My question...is there a recipe for home made cat food that can be followed or modified. Has anyone made home made food or treats for you cats. If so what recipe did you follow. Yesterday I picked up some turkey wings. I was thinking of cooking it and grinding it into a type of paste for him. Of course both of our ginger boys like gravy. Are there vitamins that would be good to add. Uncertain if cats can eat eggs or might have a sensitivity to them. Thought eggs might be used as a binder. Interested in hearing what others might have tried or done.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  2. Justin & Sebastian

Justin & Sebastian Well-Known Member

I'm starting Sebastian on raw food to help with his IBD. At first I was completely overwhelmed by the raw/homemade food recipes. Then I discovered EZComplete. It's a premade mix that you add to ground meat that provides all the stuff you'd normally do if you did it from scratch. They recommend raw but you can do cooked. I checked around these forums and it seems there are several other people who use it also with good results.

3. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

I made home semi-cooked poultry using the same ready to use premix as Justin.
    Couldn't wish for anything better.
    Total success with my cat - for meals and for snacks in between/ testing bribes.

There is another method in Dr. Pierson 's blog with list of all necessary ingredients.

I do not really cook the meat - just to kill the surface bacteria so the meat comes out Medium Rare mostl. Not cooking completely preserves nutrients. The site that makes EZC Premix has also good cooking instruction.

There will be some fatty and a bit bloody drippings left after cooking - add some water and mix well into the ground meat and you'll get sort of a "gravy".

I do not add raw egg - but Dr. Pierson does, read her recipe.
    I think I remember someone posting here that raw egg whites can cause absorption issues.

Krystina & Nelli and Roops like this.
  4. Roops

Roops Member

Thank you for sharing.
    I will check out the premix that Justin uses. And Dr. Pierson's blog

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I feed a raw food diet to my cats. I used to feed Sheba with a partly cooked, partly raw diet. With Sheba I followed the Lisa Pierson diet recommendations. With my current cats I feed a frankenprey diet which is all raw and includes muscle meats, liver, kidney, heart, raw egg yokes, sardines and bones. Uncooked egg whites inhibit the absorption of one of the B vitamins. Cooked egg white is fine. I just add a raw egg yoke on top of the food one day a week.
    If you are going to use a commercial mix to make it a complete food, all you really need is the muscle meat.
    I would not grind up the meat. I would let the cat eat it as solid pieces either small pieces or larger pieces which he has to chew. It is far better for their teeth.
    With the turkey wings you could just give the raw wing to your kitty and let him pull the meat off the bone. The bone will be too hard for him to eat. Chicken wings or necks are fine for the cat to eat the bone.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Krystina & Nelli and Roops like this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

One thing I would do if you are thinking of swapping over foods is to try each different food on its own first for a few days to see if your kitty has any reaction to any of them before mixing them all in together. When I first put Sheba on a home made diet I went ahead and mixed up a 2 week batch. It gave her diarrhoea. I had to throw the lot out and start again trying out each food separately. I found the raw egg yoke was the culprit so always cooked her egg yoke. But my current kitties eat raw egg yoke with no problems. So ECID

7. Mark and Jake

Mark and Jake New Member

Doesn’t Fancy Feast Chicken pate contain fish?

8. Roops

Roops Member

No idea. It may. We feed him IAMS Perfect Portion Grain free chicken pate mainly. Picked up some Pure Balance Grain free chicken and turkey pate from Walmart yesterday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.