Home testing - how to not hurt?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Zee, Apr 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zee

Zee Member

TOOK PLUNGE AND USED MY ALPHATRAK... POOR MUM DID JUMP.. I MUST BE VERY CLUMSY...

HAS ANYONE EVER DE-SYNTHESIZE EAR? CREAM? SPRAY? ANY FEEDBACK WELCOMED..

2. MamaMug

MamaMug Member

Testing comes with a bit of a learning curve but it does get easier! Our boy still finches from time to time. Do you use a Lancet devise or just freehand with the Lancet? We free hand which I think eases his nerves a bit. The pen produces an abrupt puncture and noise which I can imaging can be frightening so close to kittys ear.

3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Like Michelle said, it takes patience and practice Zee. Good for you for starting testing!! It's going to help so much for you to know if it's safe to inject and see how the insulin is affecting her.

I suggest de-sensitizing by taking Mum to the testing station, offering the treat, rubbing and handling her ears, let her see the testing equipment and let her sniff it. You can use a rice sock (small cotton sock with about 1/4 cup uncooked rice or oatmeal, tied off and warmed in the microwave for 15 - 20 seconds) or an old pill bottle with warm water to bring the blood to the surface. Give her another low carb treat and let her go. Do this as often as you can throughout the day. We use a thin smear of pain relief ointment on the ear, it helps the blood bead up and then I rub just a smidge again after I have compressed the "poke" site with a cotton ball for a few seconds to help prevent bruising.

There are very few pain receptors in cat's ears, they mostly object to the handling until they get used to the testing process. If you were using the lancet device, the click might have startled her, more than feeling the prick of the lancet itself.
    Have you been able to review the home testing links and tips? http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Now that you are home testing will you set up the spreadsheet so you can enter the insulin and testing data
    You will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review her progress before offering suggestions or advice: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/
    If you have any problems with set up, let us know, there are members who can help.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Reason for edit: Corrected kitty's name.
    Krystina & Nelli, Peacock and MamaMug like this.
  4. Zee

Zee Member

Thank you everybody! She definitely jumped! Doing it by hand.. no pen... hopefully will get better at it...
    putting some pain relief on poor Mum’s ear sounds like a good idea.

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

A lot of of the time it is because they are not used to someone messing with their ears. Start handling her ears and also reward her with a treat. Do this when you are testing also. She will soon realize that testing means she is going to get something good.

Zee and MamaMug like this.
  6. Zee

Zee Member

Thank you all again..

Mum is the most trusting wonderfully co-operative cat and lets me do anything she’s an angel of a puss - which is why - I SO HATE to hurt or startle her in any way...

7. Idjit's mom

Will you please tell Mum to send some cooperative vibes over here to Idjit? We could use them. My husband has to hold a squirming, reluctant 17 pound, big long cat so I can test, or clean his ears. We get it done, but I can't think how I could manage without assistance. I would have to grow at least two more arms and hands, and then none of my shirts, nighties or bathrobe would fit.

CandyH & Catcat and Zee like this.
  8. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I think what's happening is, instead of hurting her, you're startling her. It's something new for her too. Cats don't have the nerves in their ears that humans do so it's not painful like you're imagining. You CAN do this! I promise!!! Give it a couple of weeks and you'll look back wondering what all the fuss was about. :)

MamaMug and Zee like this.
  9. Zee

Zee Member

AD8A16E1-1B72-496D-B84B-5DA9FBD4E61B.jpeg C6945391-1F00-4D79-94A9-3F795DD8E080.jpeg C6945391-1F00-4D79-94A9-3F795DD8E080.jpeg Thank you... I certainly managed to bruise her ear which does upset me... I do hope to get better at it...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  10. Zee

Zee Member

Got it done more or less in one this morning... However it definitely hurts her whatever everybody says .. she jumps and yelps... I handle Madam a lot and always have - this is different...

11. Idjit's mom

You may be hitting the vein in the ear, Zee. And that does hurt a bit. I wondered about that when I saw the picture of the bruise you posted. I tested Idjit the other day and nicked the vein, he had a larger bruise too for a few days.
    The area we aim for is very small, granted, but it's between the very edge of the ear and the vein. You could try to put a flashlight behind Mum's ear so that vein shows up and you can see where to prick the ear. It gets easier the more you test.
    [​IMG]

12. Zee

Zee Member

Thank you. I’ve managed better today but she seems to ‘prefer’ deeper away from the edge... I also think one ear is more sensitive... what a to do.... xx

13. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

That's more common than not. My first diabetic, KT - his left ear just as well have been a turnip as I could never get blood. I used only his right ear for all his 3 diabetic years. Dakota - both ears DO bleed but he doesn't like me messing with his left ear so we just use his right ear.

Keep stepping forward - you're doing fine! She'll get used to it. Are you giving a low carb treat after each test? If not, hit the pet section somewhere and pick up some freeze dried chicken or one of the other freeze dried meats. If you're having problems getting blood, 3 test tries then treat and try again later.

YOU GOT THIS!!! I have 100% confidence that, in a couple of weeks, you'll be testing without a hiccup in just a couple of minutes.

Zee and Idjit's mom like this.
  14. Zee

Zee Member

Bless you kind people!

15. Idjit's mom

Haha, Zee, most of us started out knowing diddly about feline diabetes. I knew a little about human diabetes and that dogs got diabetes, but never gave a thought about my cats maybe developing it, all through the years.

It takes awhile to learn about all the things you need to know and do now. Read through the information on the forums, the FAQs forum is especially informative, as well as the Caninsulin forum. Reading the other members' posts helps answer questions you don't even know you have yet. You are already using two of the three components of effective diabetic treatment: insulin therapy and home testing. As soon as you get to the diet part, I think you are going to see some real improvement.

Speaking of seeing improvement, I hope you will set up the spreadsheet and enter the insulin and testing data, so that we can see how Mum is doing. If you aren't able to set it up yourself, we have members who can help or do it for you.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

16. Zee

Zee Member

So abysmal failure this morning.. couldn’t get enough blood... several attempts and at least 4 discarded extremely expensive strips later I gave up... Mum quite disgusted..
    On a positive note - she likes raw pork mince!

Another go later on today..?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.