Home testing, not getting enough blood...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Blue and Freddies Mom, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue and Freddies Mom

Blue and Freddies Mom Member

Hello,

I have a question about glucose testing. Many times I am not able to get enough blood. I am using the Freestyle Lite, which requires a tiny amount, but when I use the lancet device, it's just too small a prick. I have been using the warm sock, which helps somewhat. In the beginning I was just pricking the ear myself with the lancet, but the cat would often flinch and then pull his ear away, leaving a scrape on his ear instead of a prick. It was also hard for me to do (kinda freaked me out) although it did give me more blood. I just feel bad as I've been going at my poor cat with the lancet device three or four times, then squeezing his ear to just get one reading!! He has been good about it, but may start getting pissed off! :twisted: What I was wondering was whether there was any difference between the two caps that the lancet device comes with. One they say is good for pricking the end of the finger, and the other is for other parts of the body. I'm sure a human diabetic would know that answer to that. So, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi there

just a few tips from my own experiences

- you're not really squeezing the ear to get the blood,,,it's more like "massaging" or "kneading" the blood to flow towards the spot u poked...

- u could try a higher number on the lancet device,,,so for example, if u are using #3, go with #4...in the early days of learning this, the ears can be tougher...as u progress, the ears get easier to poke therefore the # on the device can be adjusted. And some days it will be hard to get blood, so just make small adjustments as u go, if u need to.
    - sometimes it's a matter of the angle you are placing the device at. pointing straight down may give u more chances of a good sample...placing the device on an angle, can miss or just do a scratch... keep at it to see what works for u.

-have a tissue handy as u move up on the #'s of the lancet device, u might see a bit more blood sometimes

- Ive always used the device with the cap on, I tried without the cap - and it was too weird, couldn't get a handle of it...some here do well like that, Im not sure how...

- you do have to stay calm or ur cat will sense it, offer a treat, food association works wonders, it doesn't happen overnite, but it does get easier.

others will be a long to give you tips, so hang in there! Good for u for trying thou!! Really makes a difference for ur kitties safety.

And don't worry - ears heal well, u may want to pick up some polysporin or neosporin, this is an ointment creme to help with the sore red ears.

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi

It's very possible that you don't have the setting on the device deep enough. I'm horrible with those devices and prefer to poke free hand. You may want to try it that way too, as you will have more control over the lancet and can direct it better.

If you try freehanded, I suggest you hold it and poke at an upward 45 degree angle. This will ensure you don't pierce the ear but poke and get the blood drop you are seeking.
    Here is what I mean:

[​IMG]

If you want to use the device, put it on the deepest setting and also try poking at the same angle rather than straight onto the ear.

Also, where are you poking on the ear? This is the area you want to aim for:

[​IMG]

I found that if I kept the rice sock behind the ear while poking, if I accidently pierced, I would stab the sock and not my finger. You may want to try it.

Are you warming the ear enough?

If you poke and don't get any or very little blood, poke again as close to the original poke as possible, you may find by doing this 3 or 4 times, you will get the drop you need. While one poke and drop is ideal, if you can "pool" several drops together to make one that works too.

Hope these ideas help.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I found it also helps to have something to poke against at the back of the ear. (Also that way, it doesn't go through your finger....) We used a makeup sponge, others use a folded kleenix or even a small plastic pill jar. Also, if you put a dab of vaseline on the spot where you are going to poke, it will help the blood bead up.

5. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

6. Blue and Freddies Mom

Blue and Freddies Mom Member

Thanks for the useful tips! I managed to get a decent blood drop this afternoon. I think I managed to get just the right spot. Thanks for the encouragement!

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats! It just takes some confidence and practice and eventually, you get it figured out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.