home testing.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by sugarsquishy, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

ok i have been giving squishy 3 units at 8am and 3 units at 8pm since friday june the 4th. just did our first home bg's test and it was 396. where do i need to go from here. i want to take his dry food away but i am nervous to cause he had 3 units of insulin at 8 pm. should i wait till morning to take a way the dry food completely? Then when i get up in the morning feed him one can of wet cat food, test his sugar, then only give him 1 unit of insulin???

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

PZI, right?

If I were you, and understandably nervous, I would wait until the morning to start the wet food. I would test, give one unit (assuming the numbers are right) and feed him some wet lo carb. I think I would also pick up some ketone strips and test the urine for ketones, since you are lowering the insulin. Give the food a while to work - in some cats it takes a few days before you see a change. With Oliver though, it was overnight.

Your other option is to mix the wet with the dry tonight, if you have any worries about him liking the wet. Then if he balks, you can transition him over slowly.

3. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

yes PZI. and i am already currently mixing the wet and dry, but i want to get him off the dry food as soon as possible. he loves the wet food so that wont be a problem. i just wanted to make sure that i should leave the dry food out tonight because he got 3 units at 8pm and just start the low carb wet food only diet tomorrow with one unit of insulin. i am really nervous about switching everything. i dont want him to go hypo. my husband will be home with him all day tomorrow while i am at work so he will be able to keep an eye on him.

4. Pandasmom

Pandasmom Member

If you're worried about tonight, leave the dry food out. One more night with dry food is not going to make a difference (and may help since you've given him 3 units this evening).

Start fresh tomorrow morning. 1 unit, low-carb food.
    Will your husband be able to take a few tests during the day? It'll help to know how low he goes during the cycle.

5. sugarsquishy

sugarsquishy Member

yes my husband will be home to take test. our test this morning did not happen. he was being a little squirmy squishy. but we are going to try again before i go to work. and i only gave him one unit of insulin and a can of wet cat food. and we took away his dry cat food.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

This sounds good. Hope you can get a couple tests in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.