Homemade cat food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sudio3, Jun 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Hello,
    Does anyone have experience or have information about making your own cat food? Or ideally "homemade" cat food that is packaged and I can buy that is truly only fresh meat and whatever else they need? I would like to try as my kitty's numbers are high and he's not doing great. I'm hoping this will help. I have enough trouble feeding myself and my 1 year old so I'm hoping it's not complicated or time consuming. Being able to buy this someone would be even better.

Thank you so much!
    Marissa

2. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Sorry I have no experience with premade Homemade food since none of them are available where I live, but really doing it is not so bad I prepare big batches enough for 2-3 weeks and freeze it (can't make more since I have a limited amount of freezing space and I cook for 4 cats) , if you want to give it a try here's a link to Dr. Lisa's recipe it's awesome is amazing how well my cats are using her recipe

https://catinfo.org/making-cat-food/#The_Recipe

3. TheReal_JD

TheReal_JD New Member

I do, I have a grinder but I also buy pre ground things to make it easier when I am on a rotation at the hospital that is crazy. I feed high fat/medium protein/zero carb, because my food has to feed both my diabetic girl and my CKD boy. If you want my recipe, let me know. YMMV, as like I said, I cook for two disorders that historically should be fed the opposite diet (low protein for CKD and low carb for Diab).

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

I do pretty much the same I feed my diabetic (and also CKD) and my two CKD and my young otherwise healthy girl the exact same food all of them on the long run will benefit from a low carb, high protein (even the CKD to avoid muscle waste ) low phosphorus (very important for CKD) even the healthy one

Sudio3 likes this.
  5. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

I use a complete supplement called EZ Complete, made by Food Fur Life. https://www.foodfurlife.com/#/
    You just add it to raw meat along with some cold water. It's very easy! I just started using it recently, and four of my five cats love it! It's a little costly, but I still find it to be cheaper than very expensive cat food. I'm also feeding one who is an off the juice diabetic and another with kidney disease, and this is perfect for both of them. It's low in phosphorus because it's made with egg shell rather than bone. I bought an inexpensive grinder from Amazon to make the job easier. I didn't need a costly one because I have no need to grind bone. However, a lot of people use a food processor to grind it. I'm very glad I gave this a try!

6. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I also use the FoodFurLife EZ Complete supplement with raw food for Idjit. I use a food processor, and get the consistency Idjit really enjoys..chunks! It works for us, and it really isn't labor intensive or time consuming. I have been having DH helping because I want him to know how to do it just in case I win a fully funded trip to an exotic location and am away! LOL
    If he can do it without problems, anyone can. Visit the FFL website, read the information. If you have questions, the staff is very good about responding.
    Idjit loves it, his coat is soft and shiny, and he might just be the healthiest he's ever been. He's a diet controlled diabetic, and I want to keep him that way for as long as possible.
    You can visit www.catinfo.org for some great reading about feline nutrition.

7. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Hi Veronica. Do you use crushed eggshell instead of bone meal? I'm asking because you're also feeding a cat with CKD. I thought about just making raw food from scratch, because I think it would be cheaper than using a food supplement. But I need to find something that I can give to a cat with kidney disease, and that recipe says that it isn't for cats with CKD. Do you modify it?

Sudio3 likes this.
  8. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

And it's certainly good to be prepared!
    I can't get over how well my cat with CKD is doing, and I do believe it's because of the EZ Complete. Her coat is healthier than it's ever been, and her eyes are bright and clear. She almost looks kitten like, and she'll be 15 in September!
    I use a grinder because I need it as small as possible. One of my cats has no teeth!

Sudio3 and Idjit's mom like this.
  9. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Yes back in the days when my CKD problems started I had a consultation with Dr Lisa and I actually add Calcium carbonate instead of bone or bone powder and I add egg whites to make it high protein without raising the phosphorus

Although I think the EZ Complete seems quite good too bad it is not available here

10. Robert Vittetoe

Robert Vittetoe Member

I’m interested in giving the EZ Complete a try. I just ordered a sample from their website. Do you usually mix with chicken? Do you use raw or cooked meat?

11. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I use chicken, both dark and light meat. I also use beef, and yesterday I used pork for the first time. I use raw meat, but you could also used cooked. If you cook it, make sure you follow the instructions on Food Fur Life's website.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Sudio3 and Robert Vittetoe like this.
  12. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Thank you for sharing that!

13. Idjit's mom

I use raw meat, and make sure the prepared mixture is frozen for at least 24 hours, just to kill any bacteria there may be. I do not use pre-ground meat, because there is a better chance of bacterial exposure before you prepare the food, and Idjit doesn't care for that texture much, even cooked.

I use boneless skinless chicken breasts, and thighs. I have to get turkey breast and thighs from a local butcher that is frozen, then I thaw and use half of the breast for Idjit and the other half for our meals. I have to carve the meat off the bones, but it's not too bad. I use chuck beef also, so he gets a good variety of protein. He doesn't care for pork, so I don't use it. @Marje and Gracie also uses other proteins, but I haven't progressed to that as of yet. I will send you an email response from FFL about using the different proteins so that a kitty will be getting the best of a balanced diet.

You can use cooked meat if you are more comfortable with that, at least to begin. There is information on using cooked meat on the FFL website. @Tanya and Ducia partially cooks meat for her cat and she can provide info on her process.

Be sure to follow the transition instructions..I got a little too antsy and went too fast changing proteins, and had to chase Idjit down to help him clean his pantaloons of stinky wet poo. Neither of us liked that very much. :confused:

14. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Another vote for EZComplete here. It really is super easy. I use chicken breast (Sam doesn't like thighs. Of course not. Why like the cheaper meat?!?! :cat:), turkey, beef, and rabbit (only when my neighbor buys it for him - too expensive for me!). Mostly chicken and turkey. I've found that the trick is to watch the sales at all the local stores, and buy up a ton of whatever is one sale. That goes a long way towards lowering the cost of homemade.

For store bought raw, I like Vital Essentials and Primal. Atticus is particularly fond of the Primal Pronto which is the little bites instead of the chunks. Same recipe, different shape. If you happen to be in the Seattle area, I can recommend a couple of local companies with great raw food options too, but unfortunately, they only sell in stores around here.

Sudio3 likes this.
  15. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Ok thank you so much I will take a look!!!

16. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Ok thank you! I will look into the store bought raw brands that you mentioned and also will look into the EZComplete! I am in Boston unfortunately but thank you for offering. So much good information on this site!

17. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Also I use mostly chicken and turkey thighs because those are the lowest in phosphorus, chicken breast is higher

18. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Oh my goodness so much great information! Thank you all so much! I'm feeling really hopeful now. I think I'm going to start with the EZComplete and see how this works and then try other options if this isn't working. Thank you all again I'm so grateful for this group. I will send an update of how it goes!

19. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I use to make food for Smokey. I bought necks, backs, thighs, gizzards, hearts and beef bones from grocery store when on sale. Throw it in the slow cooker. When done I used my mini processes to make it pate, it's how Smokey liked it. I used EZ but the smell really bothered me and other cats wouldn't eat it.

20. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Thank you. I did hear this before, but to be honest, I had forgotten! My brain is on overload these days...

But I'm so happy to say that Celie's kidney values were normal the last time she had blood work (she was originally diagnosed as stage 2), and that happened with her eating a mix of white and dark. I'm amazed!!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  21. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Hmm... I guess I should do this? I read that it's only necessary to freeze raw (before serving, to kill bacteria) if it's game. But maybe it's just better to be safe than sorry. And do you know what? My critters seem to enjoy it more after it's been frozen. Strange, huh?
    I just prepared my first batch of pork, and they're not crazy about it. I may be mixing it in with the chicken/beef mixture. So far, beef is the winner, although they like chicken too. I haven't yet tried turkey.

22. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Here are the transitioning instructions. It can take patience so don’t give up.

I already fed Primal raw and raw with alnutrin when they started making EZC. Using the same proteins, I still had to switch Tobey slowly with the method of putting a small piece of new food next to the old food every meal. It was two weeks before debate the EZC food but once he did, adding new proteins was easy.

I rotate turkey thighs, venison, elk, pork, goat, chicken, lamb, and bison. I don’t feed the same protein twice in a row.

23. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Myth #3: Freezing Kills Bacteria
    Freezing foods renders bacteria inactive but doesn’t actually kill anything. That means if your food went into the freezer contaminated, once thawed it will still harbor the same harmful bacteria. Cooking it to the recommended temperature is the only way to ensure that your food is safe.
    http://www.eatingwell.com/article/17876/6-common-myths-about-freezing-foods/

24. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

I really thought I read somewhere that game needs to be frozen first, but I'll be a son-of-a-gun if I can find it again. Everything i just read confirms this article, that freezing meat does not in fact kill bacteria. It's more convenient for me not to have to freeze it all, because I have five cats and that's a lot of meat to freeze. So I freeze some of it, and I'm able to leave out a decent amount that they'll use in the next 2 days. They actually don't seem to care for it right after it's made, which has nothing to do with what you're talking about. But I find it interesting that they like it better after it sets for a while. I thought it was because it was in the freezer first, but I figured out it's just because they don't like it when it's first made.

25. Idjit's mom

Thank you for this information Larry, always good to have the facts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.