Honeymoon after 6 years??

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Jan, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan

Jan New Member

I haven't been on this website for years. This site was invaluable to me in the beginning. Thank you for all you have done for me!! I never joined but "lurked" regularly at first. Widee (17 years old) was diagnosed 6 years ago with diabetes. Several attempts with insulin, finally settled nicely with PZI VET. Spent Wednesday at the Vet's for curve for dosage for new insulin Prozinc. He came back with numbers like 151, 160 and 174... The Vet and I decided not to shoot with insulin. He was eating (not as much as usual) (FF Turkey & Giblets). Hasn't had insulin since Tuesday night. Have never home tested - had problems getting blood out of his ear... Based dosages on water comsumption and urine output. Question: Does anyone on this site have experience with a sugarcat on insulin for 6-7 years taking a honeymoon?????

2. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Hi Jan,

I have seen some long time insulin users take a honeymoon. I can't tell you who they are, but I know I have seen at least 4 years.

Frankly, when my Ennis, who has been on insulin 3.5 years, starts flirting with not needing insulin, I get concerned. I am not telling you this to upset you, but to empower you with information. Sometimes, cats who suddenly have a lowered need for insulin are soon diagnosed with some form of cancer. There is a correlation because cancer eats glucose. When Ennis's insulin needs have lowered for no explainable reason, I have asked the vet for X-Rays to look for masses. Ennis has been clear, and his insulin needs return to "normal."

Best of luck Jan.

I am going to shadow copy this thread over to Health because this is not a highly frequented forum and I want more eyes on your issue.

Venita

3. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Jan, anything is possible, rare, but possible. I agree with Venita......If Mishka suddenly stopped needing insulin, her sweet butt would be going in for complete works including abdominal ultrasound and cardiologist vist. When Hope, after 4+ years stopped needing insulin, she went in for the full workup. Hope has Restrictive Cardiomyopathy and is doing great after 3 years on meds for it. She still doesn't need insulin. No one can tell me if heart problems also eat up glucose though. I'm thankful she had diabetes because she showed no signs whatsoever of heart issues and we caught it all early on.

4. Jan

Jan New Member

Last night after asking this question, he started drinking a little more than normal. This morning I tried pricking his ear again and was successful!! Just as I thought, he was at 557. So I have started him back on his insulin at about half his normal dose. Not sure what happened. Will keep an eye out for the other issues mentioned. Thanks, you people are so wonderful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.