Honeymoon over....Questions

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Barbara and Goodie, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barbara and Goodie

Barbara and Goodie New Member

Goodie has had a great honeymoon (I think about 2 years) but something changed and she is officially diabetic again.
    Her numbers are ranging from 280-330. Thankfully she's not as high as she was when she was diagnosed originally which was in the high 400's....She's had complete bloodwork done including fructosamine. Everything is normal, except cholesterol which is a bit high but we attribute it to her high protein diet.

During her honeymoon her AMBG had been around 100 consistenly. She is fed exclusively FF Tender Beef.
    I have been reading the threads about FF changing and I am concerned that perhaps something has changed.
    One of my questions is, has anyone changed from FF to other low carb food sucessfully?

Second question, The vet is consedering PZI and Lantus. Goodie was on Lantus before the honeymoon and therefore I am leaning towards Lantus since that is what I am familiar with. Any thoughts?

I am also considering switching her canned food before starting the insulin, to sort of get a feel if FF is indeed part of the problem. Any thoughts???

Thank you all for your input~
    Barbara

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Hi Barbara

I'm sorry that this has happened but hopefully it isn't permanent.

I've not followed the FF discussions, but unless the ingredients have really changed to include grains or something, I doubt that any changes would result in such a big increase. How are her teeth? Did the vet do a cytocentisis (use a needle to test urine) for any infection?

If lantus worked before I would definitely go back to it, obviously with a very low dose to start...

Jen

3. Barbara and Goodie

Barbara and Goodie New Member

Her teeth are in "so-so" shape. The Vet thinks she may need a dental at some point but she is not too worried about it.
    Is teeth health somehow related do higher BG's?

In regards to urine test, the Vet wanted to but Goodie had just gone - so no urine to test....
    However, we suspected a urine infection about a month ago (difficulty urinating and little bit of blood in the urine) and she got antibiotics for it. The Vet couldn't get urine at that time either, but she thinks the infection was related to higher glucose levels...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.