Honeymoon Over

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by tobygo2, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobygo2

tobygo2 Member

So my cat has had diabetes on and off for a few years. He was first diagnosed about 4 years ago, then suddenly went into remission. It reappeared when his dental health was in trouble so he had dental surgery and went back into remission for about 9 months. Well I've been testing him every other week and so and he's been fine. Tonight though he was 419!!!! :sad: I just gave him 1cc of Vetsulin and plan to test in about an hour. Tomorrow I'll call my vet. If after an hour his levels are still high should I give him another 1cc? I'm just really afraid that he's at 419!! I have no idea what might have caused this reoccurance. He's not stressed at all, strictly indoors and on a supervised diet.

Any help or advice would be appreciated :) I'm a very worrysome cat mom!

Thanks,
    Terri

2. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Hi..I am just running out...please do NOT give another 1 unit ( I am assuming you are using u40 syringes and you meant 1 unit not 1 cc ? )

It is scary to have them come out of honeymoon but also treatable.
    Have a look at the stickies in the vetsulin insulin support group, and especially the vetsulin recalls. May be time to talk with your vet about a new insulin.
    I would also wonder if an infection could have driven up his blood glucose levels and this is temporary.

Get a test around 2 hours after the shot and see what is happening and check back with us if you can okay?

Do you have ketone test strips?
    How old is your insulin? it may not be working anymore of it has been opened and sitting a long time.

I would honestly suggest getting to a vet first and discussing everything after some blood work is run.
    Than if needed, I would consider a longer lasting insulin like levemir. Vetsulin is proving unstable at the moment
    Hang in there....more voices will come in.

3. tobygo2

tobygo2 Member

I meant 1cc, I'm sorry! So you think I should off for tonight and just retest him then call my vet in the morning??

Oh and I tried the Ketone strips....yea that didn't go too well, LOL!!

4. Yolanda and Goo (GA)

Yolanda and Goo (GA) Member

Hi Terri

I really really hope you didn't mean 1cc. That is a massive amount of insulin. Did you draw up to the first line on your syringe (assuming they are u40s) or did you give an entire syringe (going from memory whether u40 syringes hold a full 1cc, it's been a while!).

Can you please confirm which you gave? It's very important.

It would be good if you stick with us here for a bit and get some more bg checks as the insulin kicks in, just to be safe.

As to why his bg has shot up again, it could be any number of things. Ruling out infection would be a good first step, so you're going to want to get a blood panel and urinalysis done when you see the vet.

Attached Files:

5. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Yes, I do think that is the best plan. You have given 1 unit yes? ( you mention 1 CC again )
    Please keep an eye through the typical nadir of about 5-6 hours after shot and try and get some tests.

I would get the vet on board before anything further, and really have a look at the vetsulin recalls.
    How does your kitty seem?
    Any other symptoms of anything?

I am trying to go and get grocery shopping done, but will come back when I am home, meanwhile, do have that read through the stickies here. viewforum.php?f=19

ketone testing is not for the faint of heart :smile: but it should be done..perhaps a little saran wrap over litter will let you catch some? cat_pet_icon
    Kimmee

6. tobygo2

tobygo2 Member

Ok, first off my bad, I do have U40 syringes so it was indeed 1 unit. I just tested him again and it went down to 309 so that's good, I'm going to test him again in another hour to see where he's at. I will call the vet first thing in the morning of course. I did read about the Vetsulin!!! That's pretty scary, I'll see what she says about switching him over. He was on PZI before but then I was told they stopped making it (plus it was $120 a vial!!)

There's nothing different about him at all. He's the same easy going cat as always. I just recently noticed he's more hungry than normal and he eats a lot to begin with so that made me worry. Plus I noticed he's been drinking more. But maybe it is an infection I'm not sure. I'll call the vet and hopefully get him in tomorrow!

I just worry so much and he's my little buddy, my main man ya know! nailbite_smile

7. Yolanda and Goo (GA)

Yolanda and Goo (GA) Member

Okay, whew! Otherwise I'd be telling you to go straight the the ER vet.

How many hours ago did you give the shot? It would be good to know how fast he is dropping.

Attached Files:

8. tobygo2

tobygo2 Member

I was panic stricken and not thinking clearly, Lol. I gave his shot at 8:30 when his bg was 419, now at 9:30 its down to 309, so I'll test again at 10:30 and post as well.

Thank you EVERYONE for calming me down!!!

9. tobygo2

tobygo2 Member

10:30pm and it's down to 351 so it's dropping..I'll test again first thing in the morning before I call the vet!

10. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Hi Terri... I'm glad the dose has been worked out and that you are heading to the vets.

Kimmee asked how old your insulin was. That was going to be my first question because an open bottle that is 9 months old is probably not very effective. I suppose we'll see this morning.

The other thing is.. and this is just for everyone out there... I'm not too sure how giving insulin with one high number on a honeymooning cat is the right thing to do... I know you said he was exhibiting symptoms too, but I think it's probably best to get a fructosamine test before more insulin is given.

11. tobygo2

tobygo2 Member

I just called the vet and am waiting for them to call me back now. The Vetsulin is about a year old maybe so that's something I'll consider too. I'm just sitting by the phone right now, Lol. This morning he was back up to 404 :shock:

12. tobygo2

tobygo2 Member

So the vet put him on PZI (the new kind!) 1 unit twice a day and I'll give him a curve next week. She also gave me some Purina Diabetic Management which amazingly my cat likes!!!

13. Victoria & Sundance

What was he eating before? The Purina DM is not as good for diabetics as some of the store brands listed on Janet & Binky's food charts:

Link to old and new canned food charts

You will save money and do better by your kitty by feeding one of the wet foods listed as under 10% carbs. The DM is about 7% carbs but is not made with quality ingredients and many cats get tired of it quickly. For now, it's ok... but don't spend a lot of money on it.

Since you are home testing you'll be able to see if that diet change works... Hopefully your kitty won't have to be on insulin for very long. Remember to test before every shot and get some nadir numbers... all this before your curve so that you can see if the curve fits with the other numbers and isn't just an off day.

14. tobygo2

tobygo2 Member

I had him on a mix of Wellness Grain Free and Friskies Special Diet but she lectured me to switch! Ugh, I know the Wellness is good! I do test before all shots and will spot check throughout the next few days before the curve. It's just so frustrating. Plus he has FIV so he's my 'bubble boy'! :roll:

15. Victoria & Sundance

Well, not all vets are nutritionists... So use what you have or take it back if you like. If what you were feeding before is on Janet's list and is under 10% carbs, you're good to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.