Honeymooning, now what??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rebeccalou, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebeccalou

rebeccalou New Member

Hi All,

This board/site is a great resource, thanks to everybody.

So... I finally started home testing after getting Miles a new lower carb food (Nature's Variety Instinct canned), and took him off PZI. His no-insulin readings have been mostly in the low 100s. He is free feeding. After a big meal, bg has gone has high as 160. Lowest reading I've gotten is 78.

There is so much info out there on when to test, etc when the cat is on the juice. What should I be doing now, though? When/how often should I be testing his bg?

Just want to make sure I'm getting this right, he seems to be doing well but I don't want to drop the ball. Anything I should keep an eye on while we're on honeymoon?

Thanks everybody.

Rebecca

2. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Celebrate!

Keep tabs on bg levels. When Maggie honeymooned, I kept testing a couple of times a week, then once a week, then once a month. I wound up testing once a month, to keep my skills up if for no other reason. :D

3. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Keep testing.....Zoe has been off of Insulin for over a year and I still test her every week or so. In fact I just tested her, which is the first time in 10 days. I test this often to keep Zoe in the habit as well as myself. She can sometimes be crabby about being tested, so I want her to remember this is NOT a bad thing...today she purred through the test. :smile:

I also test her, if something seems "off" .....maybe she doesn't look as perky or she's not eating as much as normal....or when I just think she needs tested. ;-)

Sherry & Zoe

4. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

First off, congratulations!

The one thing you'll need to keep in mind in the future is that Miles is, and always will be, a diabetic. When you take him into the vet, remind them that he's a diabetic in remission, which will hopefully make them think twice about things like steroids if another alternative is available. You'll also almost certainly have to keep him on low-carb food for the rest of his life.

Test his BG levels at least once a month, as well as any time he seems 'off'. And remember that any problem that causes infection, inflammation or pain can (and probably will) raise his BG levels again. So any health issue that comes up in future -- even something comparatively minor like tartar on the teeth -- should be addressed as quickly as possible to try to keep his BG levels down and Miles in remission.

Again, congratulations to you, and to Miles!

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Woohoo!!! Congrats!

[​IMG]

6. rebeccalou

rebeccalou New Member

Thank you all for the advice and support! I will keep a very close eye on Miles (luckily he's an expressive boy) and taper off the bg tests. This is an exciting new phase, though I'm always going to have his insulin in the back of my mind (and fridge, probably). Hard-wired to worry, I think!

7. Steve & Jock

Steve & Jock Member

What jj said above. Taper off the tests, but don't forget diet and keep an eye on him.

As he ages, various things that a normal aging cat might take in stride (or the treatments for those things) could unfortunately trigger high blood sugar, which could in turn trigger another diabetic episode. This is because high blood sugar itself is a cause of diabetes in cats -- it suppresses insulin production and damages pancreatic beta cells.

So consider him more prone to diabetes than usual and keep an eye on his BG readings. Otherwise, enjoy!

8. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

What flavor low carb of Nature's Variety Instinct canned are you feeding? I am always looking for food ideas. We are on Wellness now.

9. rebeccalou

rebeccalou New Member

Thanks again, guys. Nicole, we're on the Venison flavor of Nature's Variety. Both our cats enjoy eating it. Miles has always been finicky- doesn't even like treats- he meows joyfully when I open a can. Never seen that from him! And to have him go on honeymoon has been a super bonus.

The venison was recommended because Miles was having tummy trouble that was tough to diagnose (diarrhea and occasional vomiting, we ruled out bacterial causes), so we needed to try ingredients that were new to his system. It has worked very well for us, mixed with pumpkin for fiber. He lost quite a bit of weight during his bad tummy period, I wish he would gain it back faster, but he is in very good spirits.

BG last night was 99, I'm a happy mama.

10. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Great, so happy to see your reply : ) & even happier that the food is working!!
    Sadi is the same way as far as food goes - very picky & will not eat any treats at all ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.