Hooray! River is gaining weight

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Paigeworthy, Oct 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Just a little celebration on a Sunday night, less than a week after I brought River home from the hospital after her diagnosis and a nasty bout of DKA. I honestly thought I was going to lose her.
    She is adjusting so well to her new life of ear pokes and insulin shots, and eating like a horse — and she's regained .3 pounds already! She feels heavier in my arms, and her backbone is feeling less pronounced when I pet her. I truly believe she's going to recover.

2. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

That's great, Paige. Really fabulous news. The insulin is sure helping her
    @Kris & Teasel and others - wonder your views on increasing River's insulin a bit?

3. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

I should be receiving her Lantus pens this week. Would it be silly to change her dose on the Humulin if we're just going to be abandoning it in lieu of a longer-acting solution within a week or so?

4. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

Great report for River :)

Paigeworthy likes this.
  5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

What good news! I am so glad to read this, hooray for River!:cat:

6. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

If it were me, I'd want to get her blood sugars under control as quickly as possible. I can't think of any reason to hold this dose if she needs more, especially with the recent DKA.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to agree with @Carol & Murphy. It does look like River might need a little boost in dose but just to be on the safe side, any way you can get a +4, +5 or +6 just to see if she is going even lower during the night cycle. A lot, if not most kitties go lower overnight and we may not be seeing the full effect of 1u given those pinks at AMPS. :)

8. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Dumb question: Are the effects of N cumulative like the long-acting insulins?

9. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Not a dumb question. I don't think there are "cumulative" effects like long lasting insulins. It looks to me like River is reaching nadir between +4 and +6 during day cycles and her PMPS is lower the last couple of days than AMPS and night cycle readings are lower which makes me wonder if she is going lower than what we are currently seeing in the night cycle causing a bit of a bounce in the AM.

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I agree with the advice to try a little increase - 1.25 u? With a recent DKA in the picture getting her lower is a good idea. No, Humulin has no cumulative effects like the depot insulins although it's likely possible to have longer duration if a dose is too high. That isn't the case here. The
    PM +2 and +3 tests suggest to me that she might be dropping lower at night but not likely too low - ie., too low therefore stay at 1 u.

11. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thank you for the clarification! ;)

12. Paigeworthy

Paigeworthy Member

Didn't see these replies until just now, friends — @Kris & Teasel so you're saying I SHOULD up her dose? I'm nervous about .25 dosage bumps — such a tiny amount on the syringe, I don't wanna screw it up!

13. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I answered on your other thread about Lantus dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.