Hoping for remission, BG numbers headed up however....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mariella & Simba, Oct 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mariella & Simba

Mariella & Simba Member

What a wild ride this diabetes thing is. Short history, Simba was dx'd in late August with BG of 405. He started on 1u of Lantus. After two curves, 2 weeks apart, his BG numbers were no lower than low 200s, so dose increased to 2u. Next curves, a week apart showed him trending down, dramatically on the second one, to. Range of 105-76. Vet's instructions are to stop insulin for a week, test BG each morning. If it stays in normal range proceed for 3 weeks and then do a fructosamine test. His last PMBG of his curve on 10-8 was 109. His AMBG next day was 113. Next day AMBG was 120, today 145. I am discouraged by this trend. Vet said his numbers this week should go no higher than mid-high 100's. At his rate of increase, he will hit those by the end of the week. If that happens, we will restart insulin at 1u dosage.

Was so hoping he could achieve remission, even if for a short while, as we are likely to have to travel for a death in the family fairly soon, and hate to leave him, although pet sitter will be a trained vet tech. Managing this disease is really an all-consuming task sometimes.

Mariella and Simba

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

It can definitely be frustrating! I think one issue in my experience is that vets are way too quick to call remission, which gives us false, when what’s usually needed instead is a different dose. I know I was disappointed when it happened to me!

If his numbers continue to increase, I think the more likely explanation is that Simba probably needs a dose that’s between 1 and 2 units. It’s generally recommended here to only increase by 0.25 units, not a full unit, which could explain why 1 unit did not bring him low enough but 2 units was trending too low.

Do you use a spreadsheet for his numbers? If so, more experienced members can give you dosing advice if you’d like :cat:

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi
    I agree that the vet was too quick to call remission.
    Cats need to reduce down to 0.1 or a drop of insulin to get a strong remission. Otherwise you will find that your kitty will fall out of remission at some point, probably sooner rather than later.

I would suggest you get a spreadsheet up and runnning and if you can put in all the BG numbers you have, that would be a great help. Then we can help you reduce safely in 0.25 unit increments down to a drop. This will give you a much stronger remission for Simba.
    Here's is the link to the SS
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.