? hoping for some advice PAIN and LUMP

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mfrancis69, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Sassy has been diabetic for just over a year. I took her in to the vet originally because of a pungent odor in her urine, a lump in her throat and weight loss, as well as tenderness in her back by her tail or in that vicinity.

One thing I did noticed yesterday is that she went to eat earlier and she needs to jumps up on the bathtub to get to her food, she didn't want to jump, she was trying to find a way to pull herself up.
    I lifted her up and she gave me a painful meow, not sure what is happening with the back end but she seems to be in pain.

I can't afford to take her to the vet right now either, I have also noticed that the lump in her throat is larger, the vet had tested her thyroid and said everything was fine, so what could that be.
    I have tried to do research to come up with possibilities but no luck pin pointing the exact issue.

Any advice?

Melissa

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Diabetic neuropathy will cause difficulty jumping up on things. Regulating the glucose, plus methylcobalamin (a form of B12 vitamin) help over several months. Arthritis also makes it difficult to get around and would be consistent with pain as would disk disease.

An enlarging lump is some sort of tumor or abscess (which the vet should have ruled out previously). If she doesn't otherwise seem ill, it points to a tumor. These can be benign or malignant (cancer). Weight loss is associated with malignancy. If it is freely movable, it might be a fatty lump called a lipoma.

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for Sassy
    jeanne

4. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Thanks BJM

I wish I could get her to the vet to confirm anything at this point.
    She is on B12 and she is on Day 9 of her OTJ trial, but no signs of improvement on these issues.

I will look into these things further and see what I can determine on my own for now.

Melissa

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Take a look at my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools. Some of these may help you evaluate her health as you go.

Specifically:

Thirst, drinking, and dehydration. (Daily)
    Hunger, eating, (daily) and weight (weely).
    Behavior (daily)
    Measure the lump weekly - maybe circumference (take wax paper or plastic wrap, place over lump and draw around it), and/or thickness with calipers)

I suggest you track them on your spreadsheet, so that when you can go in, you've got a good history of what has been happening.

A small amount of fish oil may help it it arthritis.

6. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

Has she lost weight? It could be just showing more prominently due to weight loss.

Zobaline can take 4-6 weeks to work after the blood sugar is controlled.

How old is she? Could be arthritis or something.

7. mfrancis69

mfrancis69 Member

Wendy,

She is 13 years old, so yes it could be age.

She has been on Zobaline since October, but her blood sugar has not been in control until lately.

Melissa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.