Hospitalized and BG #s Increasing

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by PJ Brown, Oct 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJ Brown

PJ Brown Member

Jett has been at the hospitalized since 9/30 with pancreatitis. They put a feeding tube in and he has started to eat on his own. The vets at this clinic have changed his food to RC Diabetic wet and dry. I communicated my concern with the dry food, but they assure me that it is okay for diabetic cats. They believe they have the pancreatitis under control.

You can see on his SS that he has been on Lantus since July. The vet changed him to Humulin N a few days ago and Jett's BG #s are still in the 700 range !! They started with a 1.0 unit dose of Humulin N and I believe took it to 1.5 last night and his AM PS was out of range :eek: I am so worried. Should the vet try another insulin? What can be done to help Jett?

My husband is also hospitalized and has had 2 surgeries during this time, so I really cannot bring Jett home until his BG is more stable, since I cannot test him frequently.

Thanks for your help,
    Patti + Jett

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2016
    Reason for edit: Removed 911.
  2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

With the BG that high it is possible he may be having ketones and possibly DKA, which requires immediate ER treatment. I would suggest an ER vet and have them run tests for DKA. Jett may need to be on IV with fast/rapid acting insulin and intense monitoring. The regular insulins will not work fast enough. You have so much on your plate right now...the best place would be at an ER vet. Regular vets do not always know how to deal with serious situations.

Prayers for your DH and Jett and :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: for you

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Oksana likes this.
  3. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

4. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

How is Jett doing? If he isn't better, I would take him to another vet,preferably an ER vet. If you can't do that, insist that they feed a different
    food. I would bring Jett's regular food. You are Jett's owner. You have a right to how he is treated.

Sending prayers for you, your husband and Jett.

Oksana likes this.
  5. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

More hugs Patti! This forum isn't very busy, you can still post in L&LL. Good to have one here too so the few here will see it too.

Link to today's L&LL post HERE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.