Hot water to canned food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nicole & Baby, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, will someone remind me why *we* (some of us) do? I have added a tablespoon to Wellness & Raw since I have Baby/Sadi switched.
    But forgot why I am doing it - which sounds ridiculous..but honest :D

2. Jennifer and Porky

Jennifer and Porky Member

Hi Nicole!

It's just to add a little more water to their diet, I think. I've been doing it - my boys also seem to like a more soup-y consistency to their canned food.

3. laur+danny+horde

laur+danny+horde Member

The hotness of the water also increases the smell of the wet food, so it's hopefully more tempting.

laur

4. Karen and Flo

Karen and Flo Member

It's a good way to get extra water into cats, especially if they're not good drinkers. Good for kidneys, urinary tract and just general good health. As stated above, hot water stinks up the food, which is often more tempting to kitties; and it keeps the food from getting dry and crusty if you choose to leave it out for several hours.

5. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

There was a think tank thread some time ago about the benefits of adding water to food, I will see if I can find it.
    Hot water to any food that has been refrigerated will bring it to body temperature and more palatable to our kitties who like body temperature, like it would be in the wild...*shudders just a little* our little wild cats.. bcatrun_gif

6. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

7. Gina & Yittle (GA)

Gina & Yittle (GA) Member

I do it because Yittle is a lazy-butt who hates to chew his food. Back when he wasn't fully regulated yet and really needed to eat lots of food because he was losing weight - he'd eat twice as much food if it was soft in texture. Now I do it to keep his hydration levels up and decrease the quantity of food he's getting without him noticing (lol). He hasn't realized he doesn't need as much food now and he's just about where we want him weight wise and I don't want him getting fat again.

8. Deb and Pippin

Deb and Pippin Member

I make all my ferrets food from chicken and turkey and have always watered it down some but with Pippin I think hydrating him though his food is what kept him going a lot of the time he was uncontrolled.I warm the diluted soup a bit in the microwave (12 sec) and its much more palatable for them.
    There is a debate in the ferret community now on what water to use and the consensus is that filtered or spring water is best and to only use distilled water in medication preparations but not as a major source of their fluid intake as it contains no minerals necessary for health.

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I actually add about 1/3 can of water to each can of food - I do it for the following reasons:

1) ensures they get enough water in their system and I do have a kidney issue kitty so that's important to keep the kidneys going

2) it keeps the food moist longer and therefore it doesn't dry up when it sits out for several hours at a time

Also, one thing I noticed is that there is a lot more pee in the boxes then previously. So, if you add a similar amount of water that I do, don't freak out if you see more pee. It's actually a good thing and means their bodies are functioning.

10. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

I add it to Barclay's raw or canned. It's a good way to ensure hydration and he likes the juice/blood. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.