Houston, we have a problem (testing)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by beepsandclicks, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beepsandclicks

beepsandclicks New Member

OK, I'm new to this...first day attempting testing my very recently DXd cat.

Yesterday was my first post here. My cat TJ was given his first insulin injection at the vet yesterday (3 units) and I gave him the same amount last night.
    This morning he seemed amazingly like his old self, trotting about and grooming (finally!). However, I was advised by many wonderful folks on this forum that 3 units 2x day was probably too large a dose to start, so I planned on beginning with 1 unit 2x day and check the glucose levels.

Unfortunately I was not able to begin this experiment until late this morning, a few hours later then when his dose should have been. The vet was out of Prozinc until today, I had to wait until the shipment arrived to give TJ his first dose...and did not arrive until 11 am! By the time I got the insulin and the test kit ready, TJ already looked a bit "crashy," like he had been looking all last week: fur suddenly looks more unkempt, just lying on his side, occasional meowing as if something was wrong.

I begin to panic when I realized I was not able to get a sample of blood. I went ahead and administered 1 unit without testing first. I then found myself very scared that somehow the tiny amount of insulin did not get to him, that I maybe shot it on his fur, really nearly hysterical thinking. His fur is long and I tried to part it as best I could, but I still was not confident. Unfortunately I could not tell by feeling his fur for dampness, as I realized I had just happened to shoot the insulin in a spot where the fur was wet (he had been lying in the bathtub). So my freak out is compounded now, worried that he still may have zero insulin in his system, with no way of knowing and nothing to be done about it until it's time for his next injection (11 pm tonight).

I'm following the directions exactly for getting a sample. First problem is he freaks out when anyone touches his ear. We don't have a microwave, so I boiled water in a kettle and poured that over a flannel cloth. I don't feel the ear was warm enough, and he did his best to make sure I was not able to even touch his ear with the cloth. I tried a 26 guage, then a 33 (which felt much better to use). Finally, in desperation I tried a foot pad stick. Got a bit of blood but apparently not enough to give a sample. He growled and struggled and I'm sure I made him even more upset than he would ever be at the vet. And since he is also a heart patient, I want to be careful in that regard.

Assuming I am not able to get a sample for a couple more days here, should I still continue to administer just 1 unit per injection, even if he continues to act lethargic afterward? Or should I go back to the 3 units the doctor used, since he had a decent result with that?

Funny thing is, I was a vet tech for a while during college, so I came into this yesterday with all the confidence and bravado you could imagine. "No problem at all" I thought. Wasn't even nervous until I tried once and failed. Until he cried. Until he hissed. Until I realized I didn't even have the sensation of the insulin needle going into his skin well enough to know if the shot was successful. Any needle "skills" I may have had back in the day have vanished completely. :sad:

Houston, I think we have a problem. Is there anyone out there who lives in Central Houston (I live in the Montrose area, near downtown) who could show me how it's done? I have zero confidence now and I'm terrified my boy will sink again, just as he was starting to improve.

Everyone on this forum has been so amazing to me so far. I know you all say this is do-able. I'm just not feeling capable. And I cannot imagine doing this every two hours for 24 hours!

Debra

P.S. OK, just as I was about to hit send, my TJ jumped up on the desk to visit, something he has not done in forever, so maybe things are not as dire as I thought. I mean, at least he has enough energy to jump! But my insecurity remains...any ideas on initial dosing w/o testing are appreciated. I'll keep plugging away at my attempts. My mother in law will be over later, I'll enlist her help.

2. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Hi Debra,

First off Breathe! This isn't a race, it is a long slow learning curve, and the fact that you have already started trying to home test is great. It does get easier as you go along, really it does. I don't think any of us, got it on the first couple of tries at least I know I didn't.

Personally if it was my kitty, until I could get a decent home test before a shoot time, I would stick with the 1u, I would rather my kitty be a little high for a day than a moment too low. But that is me personally, I'm sure others will chime in shortly.

Fur shots happen even to the most seasoned of us.

What helped for me at least when trying to get blood was to use a lancet device but to take the cap off, that way I could see where I was trying to stick, as I found trying to free hand it I was too timid about poking and with the cap on I couldn't see where I was aiming. With the cap off I could still trigger it so got a nice quick poke and could still see what I was doing.

Mel & Muse (GA)

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Pam & Layla is in north Houston area - not sure how far that is.

After an injection, pet the area and then sniff your fingers -- the insulin will have a strong smell, and don't fret - we've all given fur shots once in awhile - just make a note in your records that it was a possible "fur shot"

Be calm and confident -- and practice testing yourself a few times so you know how much blood is needed for a "good" test. (meter will give error if too much or not enough blood)

4. beepsandclicks

Thank you both.

I didn't smell anything peculiar, so maybe it did go in? Here's hoping.
    North Houston is a bit far from where I am...we're so sprawled out here in Houston...ideally I could find someone right around the corner so I would not feel so guilty about asking for in-person help! :oops: Maybe I'll post a request on our neighborhood forum; surely someone around has a diabetic cat (and home tests).

OK, good to understand it's better to be high than low. I should know that from the hypo discussions I read, but "beginner's nerves" I guess, coupled with the dashed confidence. Diabetes is so dang complicated, it will take me awhile to wrap my brain around it all.

Debra

5. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

It IS better to be high than low if you aren't succesfully testing, but in that case you need to be testing urine for ketones as they are a side effect of too little insulin/too little food/infection....you do NOT need this complication

Jen

6. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

I sent a PM to another person in the Houston. Not sure how close as I don't know exactly where in Houston they are but I pointed them here just in case. If they are not, they might know who is closest to you of our active members that live in the area

7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

If he is difficult, you might start out with the burrito. We put a towel down on the couch next to the arm. We plopped him on top and wrapped him up until only his head was showing. (At this point, you can always give a few treats and some soothing words...) I could lightly press him into the arm of the couch so he couldn't get away, while keeping both hands free for the "stuff" I needed.

It helped me to take the lancet cover off also. And to angle the lancet in, not go straight in. And I am not opposed to double dipping in the beginning- when the lancet is in, just push lightly again. It makes the hole a tiny bit bigger and that seems to help. Do you sure have something to poke against? We liked a small makeup sponge; some people use a folded kleenix.

If you put a dab of vaseline on the spot you want to poke, that takes the pressure off getting the right place, and it makes the blood bead up.

But I know the warming was vital for Oliver. It isn't for all cats.

Don't give up. It will work eventually. It took us an entire weekend of poking before we got a drop.

I agree with everyone else that one unit is best until you get some bg levels.

8. beepsandclicks

Good point about the urine testing. Will get some strips today.
    Thanks for checking on local help, Cindy. I also just posted on my neighborhood group. I believe there are a couple of pet sitters here, perhaps one of them has experience and will lend a hand.
    Sue, burrito might be a good idea for TJ! I'll give it a try when my mother in law comes over. Right now it's just the cat, my 3 year old son and me, and together we aren't getting much done towards this goal! ;-) I feel like I may need an extra set of hands for that, at least at first. In the evenings my husband can help, too.
    Funny, TJ is such an easy patient when it comes to taking pills, but touch the boy's ears and it's WAR. Guess he must be feeling better if he has this much vinegar to spare...

Debra

9. beepsandclicks

Just wanted to update...
    I have had an offer from a local vet tech to come by and teach me the fine art of the ear stick! She says she has lots of experience with this, so this is good news.
    Hopefully she'll be by today and I can begin confidence-building!

Thanks, everyone, who replied. Big cyber-hugs to you all.
    Debra

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Paws and fingers crossed you will have success!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.