? How bad is it really to prefill syringes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by katiesmom, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

I know you are not suppose to, but is an absolute no-no? Katie is going in for her I-131 treatment tomorrow and has to stay there for 2 days and nights.
    She is only on 1/2 unit Lantus and I trust no one to do it right, and would prefer if they use syringes I already drew up if possible. I know it's not ideal, but would it be okay for 2 days (4 shots)?

I am an absolutely nervous wreck leaving my Katie for 2 days. She's never been in the hospital or been through anything like this. I'm afraid she will not eat due to being upset and scared, and then her numbers going screwy. She's tightly regulated right now. I am worried about endless things. And we have an 2 hour car drive to get there, and Katie does horribly in the car. Again- nervous wreck here.

2. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

In that situation I would think it should be ok. Better than risking someone giving wrong dose and it has happened at a vets, you would not think so.

The numbers are good and dose is low enough that you may want to consider skipping until she gets home? Just my thoughts, you may not want to do that. Not sure how the treatment will affect her body. Only concern is if you decide to go that route to make sure they are not dosing her themselves.

Also make sure they are not feeding high carb food during stay.

May want to edit title and ask “ok to prefill syringes for 2 day vet stay?” At first glance the context for the reason you want to do it is not there...

3. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

You could take a syringe filled with coloured water so whomever is dosing will draw up the right amount, using the comparison syringe. I would also bring your own syringes for the dosing that will be done while she is away, just to make sure they are using U-100 not U-40. I'm not familiar with the treatment for Katie that you are referring to, but I hope all goes well.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It is not recommended to prefill Lantus into a syringe because of the lubricant in the syringe. But I totally understand your anxieties. I would be the same.
    Can you go there each day and just fill two at a time? Not ideal but...
    Filling a sample syringe as Christie suggested is a good idea and I would definitely supply your own syringes.
    I don’t think I would skip the doses. Try and find another alternative you are comfortable with.
    Are you able to stay close by and visit her and maybe give the insulin and see she eats. Don’t be put off by anyone. You could tell them she won’t eat unless you are there and it would be much easier for them if she does eat because she is a diabetic. She’s your cat..... they let moms stay with human kids in hospital for good reasons! So why not kitties?
    Good luck.

5. AliceMeowliss (GA)

AliceMeowliss (GA) Well-Known Member

That’s a really awesome idea!

6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

@Bron and Sheba
    Kitties having radioactive iodine treatments are not allowed to have visitors per the DEP (Dept. of Environmental Protection) regulations. Kitties must stay (no visitors) until the level of radiation that they are emitting is at or below the level required by the DEP.

@katiesmom
    FWIW, while not ideal nor encouraged, but given the circumstances, if it were me, I would go ahead and prefill the syringes. Others have done it without a problem for a day or two.

Will the clinic test before giving insulin? If so, give them a "no shoot" number. In other words, they're not to shoot if she's below that number.

If the clinic is not testing prior to giving insulin, you might want to slightly reduce her dose in the event she doesn't eat as much as she normally does at home.

Did you ask if they'll be administering insulin on a 12/12 schedule? If the clinic isn't staffed 24 hours a day they may administer the PM shot earlier than usual... another reason you might want to reduce the dose.

It's natural to worry. We always do, but try to relax as much as possible. I'm sure she'll do fine.

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Edited to add:
    If you prefill syringes, store needle side up in the refrigerator.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks @Jill & Alex (GA) for explaining that. I have no experience with I-131 treatments so can understand why no one can go near until the radiation levels drop. I must admit, given those circumstances, I would prefill the syringes as well. I'm sure that will alleviate a lot of the stress for Michele.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.