How can I make this easier on Harleys Ears?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley's Mom, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

First let me start with the good news. Today I managed to test Harley twice by myself. I put him on a beach towel on the kitchen cabinet with 2 treats standing by. He pretty much sits calmly and lets me do my evil handy work. This morning he was even purring.
    His number today mid day was 187 and his number right before his evening meal was 191.

Now for the problem. After about 12 or so tests (not counting a few bloodless attempts) his poor ears are beginning to look a little bruised. I feel like such a jerk and I am sure they are getting tender . I try to go to a fresh area each time but testing 2 plus times a day adds up.

Are there tricks that would help me? I especially feel crappy when I have poked him and not gotten any blood or not enough. :cry:

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

After you get the drop of blood, are you applying some pressure to stop the bleeding? (like when you give blood, the nurse tells you to hold a cotton ball and press on the poked area)

A few seconds of light direct pressure help to stop the bleeding and reduce bruising.

Some people apply some neosporin antibiotic ointment with pain reliever. (just a little)

3. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Yes, you need to apply pressure for 10 - 15 seconds after testing.

4. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

also if no blood, I find if I let cat shake head, it brings blood to surface or else slightly milk the ear. sometimes my cats get tested 8-10 times a day and their ears are just fine. just be sure to apply pressure to pokie hole and all should be well. I have been testing wheezer since 06 and unless you are looking for it, you would never know I poke him so much

5. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

Ok, thanks for the advice. I think the problem is that I am not applying pressure for long enough after the poke. I have been using the neosporin but no putting enough pressure for nearly long enough. I will try that next time.

Also are there better angles or do most of you just poke straight into the flesh?

6. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

when I use the clicker, I go straight in but use the lowest #. for the Boyz I freehand and go in at an angle. I also found oout when I use clicker on wheezer, if I hold clicker on ear for a little bit with pressure,it sometimes helps pulls blood to surface so bleeds better

7. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

i found it's best to poke at an upward angle, like this:

[​IMG]

As you can see I freehanded poking, but I found this method worked well on Maui.

Also, after poking, I would apply neosporin to both ears and give her a nice strong ear massage - she loved the massage part and it got the neo in and also kept the pressure on to lessen the bruising.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.