How can I tell if my Kitty is in remission?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Nsr61590, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nsr61590

Nsr61590 New Member

After just two weeks of insulin I noticed a pretty dramatic decrease in her numbers. A few days ago they were so low just 2-3 hours after shot time that I found myself staying up all night most nights or feeding her higher carb food. Then finally, one morning at shot time she was only 83 so I skipped her shot! I planned and fully expected to resume insulin and reduce her dose, but her numbers really never shot up again. It’s been 3 days now and I don’t think I’ve seen anything above 120. I think I heard that her numbers need to be under 100, which sometimes they are all on her own without insulin, but I’m not sure how to proceed from here. I was going to give a tiny amount tonight because they rose up into the blues, but then of course dropped down to 83 again before shot time! I don’t want to start insulin again until the weekend because she’s running so low, but I’m not sure if I even need to or should. Is this remission?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BJRiV_ee7w_DMY3QjDxQsSDzEuFJ7jNZX7QKsav9qRY/htmlview

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Not quite....we don't consider them in remission until they've been off insulin for 2 weeks and the majority of the numbers are between 40-100

Kitty is doing good, but I think she may need a little more support. We want a strong remission, not necessarily a fast one.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. Nsr61590

Nsr61590 New Member

How should I proceed from here? Considering she’s dropping below100 during the day without insulin, I’m nervous to give her even a half dose during the work week. Is there a certain number that’s high enough that I can consider it safe, like don’t shoot under 100? This weekend I can be home with her and test all day and night, so not as worried about that. Should I drop her to .5u? Until All numbers are always below 100? I definitely didn’t expect to even be talking about remission at all! It’s only been 20 days! I want to give her the best chance at long term recovery, but of course want to be as safe as possible doing so

4. Nsr61590

Nsr61590 New Member

It’s at her fifth or sixth skipped shot time and she is only 104 (and ate well today!)

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Well for now, you could continue with what you're doing....if she goes up above 150 I'd try giving .5

She's running a little higher than we'd like to see, but if you can't test fairly often, it's not really safe to give insulin if she's running lower

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Are you using a human meter or alphatrak?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.