? How can you tell if your cat is nauseous?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MayL, Apr 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MayL

MayL Member

How can you tell if your kitty is nauseous?

Milo is on a lot of medicine so we have to hide it in his food. We think he's getting suspicious and so he is turning his head away from his meals. But if we wipe some on his mouth and he doesn't taste the medicine he starts eating happily. So maybe that isn't nauseous but him being smart?

But if he is nauseous, my vet recommended 1/4 of a 20mg Prilosec tablet. Has this work for anyone?

Also, when he is eating dinner he needs to take two or three breaks to drink water before he continues eating. He eats Weruva's Isla Bonita and Fowl Bowl (both very moist). Then sometimes he sits by the water bowl for a little bit. His numbers are getting better (please see SS in signature), but he is still drinking quite a bit. Does anyone's cat do this routine of visiting the water bowl in between licks of food?

Thank you!

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Usually nausea shows as lip licking and/or a visit to the food bowl with a couple of sniffs or licks then walking away. Cerenia can be good for nausea. Some people get better results with ondansetron, a human med for nausea caused by chemo. Prilosec is a gut motility med I believe . The excess drinking in a diabetic cat is usually related to unregulated BGs.

3. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

That sitting by his water bowl and drinking between licks of food can be signs of high stomach acid which may give him nausea, I give SEB (slipery bark elm) to one of my cyvies when she's having too much stomach acid or nausea

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Omeprazole (one trade name Prilosec) is an acid reducer and, per BunBun's oncologist works better in cats than Pepcid. The dose is 1/4 of 20 mg tab twice daily.

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Thanks! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.