How do I convert human glucose meter result to cat result?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by M&S, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M&S

M&S New Member

My cat has Immune Mediated Animia and has been on low dose of daily prednisolone for nearly 5 years. Now it seems she has developed diabetis. She was a stray and is a very frieghteded cat- runs and hides whenever anyone enters house, so at vet she is extremly stressed- I know stress and prednisolone both increase blod glucose levels. So I am wondering is she really diabetic?
    On Jan 10th her blood glucose was 422 and Urine glucose was 250 (they got urine with needle in bladder)
    Jan 31st I was able to bring a urine sample and it was vet tech said 15 but chrt copy says 50 glucose. Her blood glucose was 560. Vet perscibed Lantus 2 units twice a day. I purchase Easy-Touch human glucose meter from local pharmacy- requires very little blood. I had not fed her this morning so probably last time she ate was maybe 8 hrs prior. Test result was 399. How would I convert this human monitor result to what my cats result is?

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

There's no direct converversion from a human meter to a pet meter. Human meters run lower than pet meters so normal on a human meter is 50-120 and on a pet meter it's 68-150... So you can see the numbers are close on the lower end... However they are further apart at high numbers. So a human meter reading 400 might be a 500-550 on a pet meter. Your cat is definitely diabetic. Have you changed the diet?

3. M&S

M&S New Member

4. M&S

M&S New Member

Hi Janet. I appreciate your response. She, Stella, has been on a raw diet since she came to us about 8 years ago. She was only about a year old when we first saw her in our neighborhood. She was emaciated... skin and bones! It took months for us to gain her trust. I also give her a daily supplement "Alnutrin" for cats. She had a rough start in and out of humane society and way too many vaccines!!! She was micro-chipped and we learned the person who had adoped her from humane society ended up incarcerated for aggravated assault. This person lived 15 miles away and across a 2 mile wide river - so someone dropped her off in our neighborhood- she didn't get there on her own.... poor baby... but she is a spoiled, happy cat now. Long term use of Prednisolone can unfortnelty lead to elevated blood sugar, but we've tried weaning her of of the prednisolone now and than, but her blood count plummets every time- so she needs it to say alive. I am hoping the with time and the Lantus she will turn around. Thanks again for taking the time to share insight on the glucose meter readings.

JanetNJ likes this.
  5. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB. You will find a wealth of information about feline diabetes here, as well as a supportive community. It sounds like poor Stella had a rough beginning and she's a very fortunate cat to have found a loving fur-ever home.
    Please have a look around on the different forums, the FAQs forum and the Lantus forums would be great places to start. Going forward, please post questions and concerns in the Main Health forum so that more members can see and respond HERE
    Please take a few minutes and create a signature so that Stella's pertinent information is available with each of your posts.
    1. Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.
    2. Another thing that will help us help you now that you've started BG testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. You will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review his/her progress before offering suggestions or advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/
    Best wishes going forward :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.