? how do I get back to the blues and occasional greens?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by CandyH & Catcat, May 22, 2019.

1. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

(see Catcat's spreadsheet)

after talking with vet, I started reducing the dose slightly for the night cycle, concern was that he might be dropping further after I had gone to bed

it looked good for a little while, then I started seeing pinks again, and they've been inching higher

(the one pink in the middle, I had quite a fight to get that test, and his BG soared)

pretty much same food, Blue Wilderness grain free chicken or turkey, 4Health grain free turkey/giblets or chicken/whitefish, Fancy Feast classic beef/chicken, liver/chicken, or turkey/giblets

post test he gets a spoonful of Meow Mix Tender Favorites (the seafood ones), a couple of dried sardines broken up, and a large pinch of bonito flakes .. or a spoonful of Weruva CIK Isla Bonita instead of MM

I tried a couple of the Friskies pates, mixed grill and poultry platter, he didn't like those as much, and I don't like rice as an ingredient

he's holding at 12 pounds, up from painfully skinny 10 -- he LOOKS like himself again; he's been getting 2 5.5oz cans plus 1 3oz can a day, plus treats .. around 350 - 400 calories, and he's still nearly always hungry and searching for food

so -- is he bouncing? could the vetsulin be losing its strength? am I feeding him too much in the early part of the cycle during the day ? (no food after +6 which is why no tests then either)

did I start reducing the night dose too soon? several of those were an hour or so later than the 12 hour span, sometimes I fall asleep mid-evening

should I hold it at 1 u bid to see if we can get back to those lower numbers, or should I look at a tiny increase (my syringes don't have half unit markings, I've been eyeballing these)

obviously vetsulin is not lasting 12 hours for Catcat -- the vet suggested I go with Lantus and I will as soon as I can get some at a price I can afford -- doesn't look like remission is going to be an overnight miracle :p

BBelshan likes this.
  2. BBelshan

BBelshan Member

Hopefully someone with more experience chimes in, but I'd would do a slight increase. The nadirs haven't been dark green in a while. Which syringe are you using? I was using the 40u and I realized that .25 unit was the thickness of the black plunger (part that touched the barrel) and that helped me get smaller doses. The insulin should still be good as long as you are following the instructions about storage. Until the cat gets regulated, it is fine to feed them as much as they like as their body isn't absorbing the nutrients well as long as they do not get food 2 hours before the AMPS and PMPS. I am not familiar with all of the foods you listed though. I know the chart said to feed the food that is under 10 carbs, but at the same time, if they are eating a lot due to being unregulated, the carbs still will add up. Maybe someone has an idea of how many carbs per day a cat needs per lb. A 14 lb. cat may need more carbs in a day then a 8 lb. cat. It might just be that 1 unit is not quite enough for your kitty and have nothing to do with the food/snacks.