"how do I transition from dry to wet food?"

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mary hornbeck, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

hi everyone:
    I really want to transition my cat to wet food, week after next. How much food should I have on hand? How many times should I test per day? How much should I feed in terms of what sized cans as he is 16 pounds? I am afraid that I will do more harm so any reassurance would be appreciated

* how do I begin the process, please be as specific as possible

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you're feeding dry now, replace it with 25% wet for the first few days. If you look on the bag, it should tell you how many calories per cup is in the dry

After a couple days, increase the wet food to 50%. After another couple days, go to 75% wet and then finally off the dry completely

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My 17 lab cat ate 4-5 fancy feast classic cans per day. He was not diabetic though. Sometimes diabetics need more until they are regulated.

No food two hours before preshot testing. Test each pretest. You test then feed then shoot. Then try to get a some mid cycle tests in when you can to see how low is going.

For me because I work all week I can only get an evening reading at 4 hours after shot in the evening. In weekends I can get in a few extra tests in. Especially in the beginning, the more tests you can get in to collect data the better.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Can you set up a spreadsheet? It's a good tool to help us help you.

5. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Hi janet:
    I do have a set of numbers for the last 5 days that I can post but will be working 40 hours until next week. I want to make the change but want to be home to keep an eye on him as well. I have spoken with my vet and as of tonight we r increasing his insulin to 2.5 units as his numbers are between 250-almost 400

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.