how do you cook your chicken?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Noah & me (GA), Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm trying to get the dog to take her large pills. An 80 pound dog who doesn't want to "open up" is quite a sight. He knows those pills are crushed up in the food so I've resorted to crushing them up in boneless chicken breasts.
    Do you;
    >wrap in tin foil and bake until tender?
    >boil in a bag? I'm assuming a zip-lock bag but I don't want the bag to explode in the pot.
    CJ is a vegetarian and I'm 90% on the way. Having a sink half full of uneaten wet cat food will be nothing compared to an exploding chicken. That's not meant to be funny so stop laughing and help me!

And suddenly after all these years the cats want chicken? Not tuna, salmon, not pumpkin. :(

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

I poach boneless chicken breasts in my microwave for my fussy geriatric guy.

Lay the breasts down in a microwave dish and add water or chicken broth (with no inappropriate additives like garlic or onion) till they are just covered.

Microwaves differ power wise. I think mine is 1000w. I cook on power level 8 for 7 minutes, turn the breasts over and cook for another 8 minutes on power level 7. If they happen to be "pterodactyl" size breasts, they'll take a maybe another minute or 2 on the lower power level.

Easy and quick clean up.

I swear sometimes I cook more for my kitties than I do for me! :rolleyes:

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Noah & me (GA)

I have a popcorn setting but no "Pterodactyl" setting.
    "I swear sometimes I cook more for my kitties than I do for me!" When we were told our dog would expire before Christmas we gave her the full Princess treatment, chicken every day. When it became apparent the oncologist was wrong I knew what it felt like to cook for the Royal household. That got old real fast!

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  4. Becky & Baby Girl GA

Becky & Baby Girl GA Well-Known Member

I take a small casserole dish, w/lid. Smear small fillets with a little olive oil & place in dish. Add a very small amt of water. Just covering bottom of the dish. Depending on the thickness of course bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes. I always turn off the oven & let them sit in there for another 30 minutes. My grandma taught me that the chicken will absorb the moisture while in the oven cooling, making them more tender. I have also wrapped in a foil & baked in a pan method. On the stove w/water also.
    For me I coat them with Greek dressing or Newman’s oil & vinegar dressing, & add veges. Now I’m hungry...

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

6. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Chicken is what frosty ate last week when he was trying to die on us. He had my vegetarian self cooking him fish (and hand feeding it to him) but he wanted rotisserie chicken! Dan made plain grilled chicken last weekend, and that’s what he’s gonna have as his snack at night. Just plain on a grill with some olive oil. Takes a few minutes each side

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  7. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

I just put the chicken in pieces in an ovenproof dish (no water no nothing added just the piece of chicken laying there ) cover the dish, this is important so that it remains juicy and does not get too dry (either you get one with a lid or use foil paper to cover it shiny side down) and bake them at 180°C (356°F)it takes about 35 minutes for an almost cooked piece about 40 if you want it totally cooked, make sure you do leave some room for the juices so do not completely fill the dish, you can shred and debone the chicken once cooked is easier and you can add the juices to his food for an extra flavor (helps disguise the meds )

One other thing that works very well with my dogs is put the pieces of the pills in a small ball of cream cheese, they just swallow it without even thinking about it, it disguises the flavor and they do not feel the pill and the pill or pieces of pill do not come out as it happens with chicken or sausages

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  8. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

i just throw 2-3 frozen breast in pot, cover with water and slow boil them till i can put a fork in one and meat pulls off somewhat easily (usually about 20 mins depending on size of chicken breast). that's it, no special cooking skills needed..

NOoooo boiling food with ziplock bags btw. the 212 temp of boiling water can melt the bags and contaminate the food!

9. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm rolling :joyful::joyful:

10. Noah & me (GA)

The dog ate Noah's food, someone puked on my side of the bed. I need to roll one too.
    It's medicinal of course, for the stress. What seems to be the officer problem? :oops: :rolleyes:

11. Noah & me (GA)

@Ana & Frosty I had no idea you were a veggy Ana. My wife is and I'm 90% there with only prepared frozen food etc. No Styrofoam trays dripping goop for me. I cook here and am quite the master chef. My pasta sauce and scalloped potatoes are to die for. I generally try not to eat anything with eyes or a big brain.
    Cynthia switched in her teens in a small town with one big stupid-market. It made her mom nuts!
    I used to work in a cow factory so I do know what's in a hot dog. It's too disgusting for now but when a cow comes down the dis-assembly line and has to go potty and someone makes a wrong cut the line does NOT stop. Fill in the blanks yourself. :blackeye: :( :eek:
    Tofu and more tofu, some people can't even tell the difference.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  12. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Yep, I was in HS when I started. I was an on&off vegetarian though for years, but I haven’t eaten any meat in 2 years now. I don’t eat fish. I could go vegan easily, I just have to find vegan cheese I like. I’ve gotten 2 recommendations so far this week so we will see. I also won’t be able to go out to eat and that’s one of the reasons I don’t switch over. But I drink soy milk and I don’t really like eggs that much. I could take it or leave it.

I don’t have a lot of time to cook with my schedule unfortunately and that’s my other barrier to becoming vegan. But I think eventually that’s the road I’m going down.

HOWEVER, I will feed my fur kids meat with no problem if that makes them better. Haha. Hypocrisy, I know.... I told Frosty that I would personally kill a chicken for him if it would make him better. Maybe that’s what worked :nailbiting: now I owe him a fresh chicken.:arghh:

The whole hot dog thing doesn’t even gross me out, I just feel SAD for the poor cows. Honestly, that’s the worst part for me. :(

13. Noah & me (GA)

We're not ready for vegan. Life without milk and cheese, no eggs I can't handle. We both like our eggs the same way, anything that dribbles off the plate is disgusting. That's not hypocrisy feeding a cat meat, otherwise is a slow death. Some things about nature cannot be changed. Pigs are smart and social animals so that's a no-brainer for me and what it takes to grow a cow, and the methane gas involved, makes no sense. Once a year I get street meat, the dog and sausage vendors in Ontario are allowed to use open flames so my answer is always the same, "Burn it". Some hot mustard and sauerkraut fixes everything but ketchup on dogs (or eggs) is a sin.
    I'm okay with fish but when I realized how big tuna were that turned me off forever. Anchovies on pizza, yummy! We're lucky to have a lot of store and restaurant options here so that's just a matter of luck. Especially the wankers at Amazon, uhm I mean Whole Foods. Where they sell $6 a can "organic" cat food. Can't wait for organic cat litter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.