how do you hold your cat's ear....

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MicheleS, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

....when using a lancet pen?

I was free-handing with success... till the past couple of days. I watched "the video" and was sticking just like that: slowly and at an angle. However, the past couple of days, Soccer has taken to yanking his head away just as I poke him. One of 2 things happens: 1) I don't get any blood; or 2) I poke too deep. I've even stabbed myself *through* his ear. <sigh>

Last week, I tried to use the lancet-pen and didn't get *anything*, in fact: I don't think it even stuck him at all. I don't think I was pressing his ear to the surface enough.

So, how do you hold the ear to make sure you have good contact? Do you hold it with your finger? (do you get poked??) Or, a gauze pad? Something hard? A rice sock? (our rice sock is squishy...) Is there a video for using the lancet-pen? I'm dreading tonight's ear stick... Poor Soccer got stabbed straight through this am and I got pricked too. Plus, he bit me again.

thanks! Michele

PS So sorry for all of the threads... but you are sooooo helpful.

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I keep the rice sock in his ear as support and simply poke against it and it works well.

3. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle! I tried the freehand thing at the beginning but I found that I could not perform it fast enough and it was hurting my baby. So I went to using the pen. They are alot faster and he doesn't even feel it. I just use my finger on the back of his ear. I only have my pen on the #2 dial as well. It doesn't have to go too deep. Some of the pens actually come with a clear cover over the end so that you can see right where you are poking.

What gauge are the lancets that you are using. I purchased 31 and they were too fine and did not produce enough blood for testing. So I went back to the 28 gauge lancets and they work great. But if those little ears are cold it is really hard to get any blood from them.

4. ChloesMama

ChloesMama Member

Make sure you have the lancet pen set on like a middle setting (I use the pen that came with my OneTouch Ultra Mini), and I have it set on 5 for my Chloe. I usually warm her ear up with the rice sock (pressing it against her ear while brushing her or rubbing under her chin so I can hold the sock in place). Then I use a paper towel or piece of toilet paper folded up, and press it against the back of her ear. I hold the pen firmly against her ear (sort of towards the edge), and click away. Once I get the blood and set the meter down to do its countdown, I fold the paper towel over her ear and apply pressure to the spot. After the meter is done counting down, I apply a few more seconds of pressure to her ear, and all done! I put the used strip in the paper towel, fold up, and discard :)

You really have to make sure the ear is warm enough to get a good drop. Try milking the ear a bit, sometimes I have to do that. Occasionally, I have to prick Chloe a few times to hit a good spot.

ONCE I poked myself (yikes!) but I find that if you kind hold your thumb at the base of the ear, your next two fingers kind of towards the top (with the ear in between them), and then prick, you can avoid that. It was stressful for me at first, but it's so routine now, and I've only been doing it a week. Make sure to praise LOTS after the testing. I brush Chloe until she's purring and purring and just bought FF Appetizers to try and give her some treats afterwards.

Good luck!! You can do it! :D

5. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I backup the ear with a cotton cosmetic pad. You have to hold the lancet pen very firmly to the ear and backup means. I start withe the deepest setting and work down. For me, the ears start to bleed easier with time. For five of mine I also hold the edge of the ear. However, that does not work for my Twggie, a Scottish Fold since her ears are so small.

6. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I think you'll get lots of different answers here.

I use my finger on the back of Tucker's ear and also use the highest setting on the lancet pen.

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I use my finger, and yes once in a while, I get poked. Just have to make sure not to mix the blood up :lol:

So... thumb on outside of ear, index finger inside -- other three fingers doing forehead scritches to distract.

Lancet pen is set for 4 out of 5 and we use 30 gauge.

8. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

I use a cosmetic pad underneath, press firmly and make sure device is flat on the ear....any angle the lancet won't nick the ear....has to be flat. I also use #2 setting....go too deep the blood may go down instead of pooling up.

9. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

10. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

> However, the past couple of days, Soccer has taken to
    > yanking his head away just as I poke him.

Are you always trying the same spot? It's possible he's got a bruise or it's otherwise sensitive. Try using the other ear or a slightly different spot. Also, after you've drawn blood, put pressure on the lancet wound from both sides of the ear for several seconds; that'll help reduce bruising. Some folks use neosporin with pain relief to help. You can also try collecting the blood on your fingernail and testing from there.

11. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

To get blood from Smokey's ear, I had to use the deepest setting on
    the lancet device.

I used a small piece of a cosmetic pad (cut into strips 1/3 of a pad, and then fold over)
    on the inside of the ear, behind the target area.

Push the lancet device very firmly against the ear, which is against the pad, held by
    your finger.

After getting the blood onto the strip, unfold the little pad and re-fold it around the edge
    of the ear and apply gentle pressure for a few seconds to stop the bleeding and minimize
    bruising.

12. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

Cindy, Thanks so much for your videos. They helped tremendously. I've been poking the INSIDE margin of the ear, not the outside. I need to look at the youtube video again... I was SURE he was sticking on the inside (very close to the margin) confused_cat

13. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

I am left handed so I poke his right ear. Hold ear with my right hand with a tissue underneath. Use the lancet pen in my left hand. His ear bleeds now without the rice sock. I use 26 gauge needles because they are thicker. Sometimes I get too much blood!

14. thepeach80

thepeach80 Member

Thanks, that video helped me know I was moving in the right direction, lol. I remember when I started tested myself during pregnancy, it took me a few times to figure out which setting I needed and which spot worked best. It's easier on yourself though b/c you can feel it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.