how do you know its neuropathy?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PeterDevonMocha, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

When I watch mocha walk, I really feel as though her back left leg walks stiffer then her right rear leg. I have asked peter repeatedly if he notices this, to which he always says no. But I honestly don't think I am making it up in my head. I was just wondering how you know when your cat has neuropathy(?) Is there a test done for it at the vet's? If so, how much does that cost? What do you use to treat it? Mocha can still run and chase after her toys (when she so chooses) so it isn't hindering her activity level (which is low) but I really think her back left leg bothers her some days. Any advice?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Usually neuropathy is bilateral, that is same on left and right side. Usually neuropathy occurs with the rear legs and the cat walks on their hocks (like heels in humans) vice their toes.

3. PeterDevonMocha

no, mocha does not walk funny on her heels. It just seems stiff, and more stiff towards her hip(ish) area, kinda high near her tail, it's really hard to explain.

4. Larry and Kitties

Could be arthritis.

5. PeterDevonMocha

yes I suppose it could be. She is 6 1/2. Is there anything most people like to use when they have an arthritic cat?

6. Larry and Kitties

Recently there has been a discussion of arthritis treatment on the non-diabetic health forum. Just do a search )upper right side of page).

7. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Mocha is very pretty. Is your avitar a kitten picture of her? Do you have any more pictures you can share of her and Twix? (I read her profile and saw she has a sister)
    Boomer is a flame point siamese cross and he was the only one in his letter who was siamese too. I really like Siamese cats! :razz:

8. PeterDevonMocha

thanks larry, I will do a search for that info. Traci, do I ever have the pictures! :lol: But I really don't know how to show them on here? We have never had a siamese cat before. Was boomer your first? Does he have the large vocal range?

ok, I'm going to try and add a picture? This is a picture of mocha, cheddar (GA) and twix. It's one of my favorite!

9. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

OMG!!! How cute! I guess it's safe to say that your avitar is a kitten photo!!! Mocha looks just like Lucy (Lucy and Libby-she posts usually only in Lantus) What a pretty girl! Cheddar is an awesome name for an orange cat. Love it. Do they all get along?

Boomer is my first Siamese. He is flame point which ya don't see too often I don't think. He's definitely a talker but not as much as some cats I've heard about - maybe because he's not a full breed? He's also a little fluffier than that your average Siamese. I only have one cat now because I lost my beige boy (Biscuit) a year ago and I'm afraid to get another. When I get engaged/move in with him/get a bigger place to live and have help I'll get another cat and I'd like a Siamese mix kitten. That will be great fun. Boomer loved having a playmate.

Very cute picture. Thanks for sharing.

10. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

All 3 cats are gorgeous!

11. PeterDevonMocha

yes, that was a kitten photo. Actually the first day we brought her home! I know Libby and Lucy, they are great! We actually had the name Cheddar Colby Jack picked out two years before finding him. We only got to have cheddar with us for just over a year. Unknown to us, main coons tend to have heart problems, and he passed away one day after napping with me. It still makes me sad. And yes, they all got along for the most part. Mocha has a LARGE vocal range and she loves to use it. I know she is not full breed because she was the only one in her litter that was Siamese. Her mom was calico and so were her sisters. There were a few pure white kitties in that litter too.

I am sorry to hear about Biscuit (another awesome name!) I hope you are able to get boomer a playmate one day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.