? How do you know when to withhold insulin and try for remission?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by katiesmom, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katiesmom

katiesmom Member

Katie's numbers have been great for months (sshhhh...knock on wood). Preshots normally in 80's-100. She has been getting .25 unit Lantus. Sorry her SS is not up to date.
    Last week she actually skipped 2 shots because preshots were in 70's. For over 24 hours she remained in 70's-80's without insulin. I finally gave tiny shot (less than .25) when she was in 90's.
    Since then, her numbers in 8o's at that tiny dosage 2x day.
    Last night she was in 60's, so no shot. Four hours later, in 70's. I still haven't given insulin.
    I am not home to watch her because I am currently taking care of my mother who was just released from hospital and is bedridden so I can only run home for shots and feedings.
    My question...do I continue to give tiny shots once her numbers rise (whenever that may be), or just forgo the shots and monitor and hope against hope insulin is not needed and we are headed for remission? I cannot shoot at 60's and 70's when I cannot be here to watch her. And considering that teeny shot gave us 60's at shot time, am nervous about any insulin since I am not here. I havent gotten any mid cycles, because again, I am not here.
    Advice? Suggestions?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Any chance of filling the last week's worth of numbers on the SS? There is a smaller dose called 0.1 units you could try. Head on over to the Lantus /Levemir forum and check out the picture in the Sticky Note on fine doses. Even getting a +2 or later at night tests, which sounds like you can occasionally do, will help fill on the picture. If she stays green for a week on 0.1 units, you could reduce to zero. However, without at least a bit of recent data, it hard to know what to suggest.

Sorry about your mom. :bighug: Looks like Katie may be a bright light in the picture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.