How do you make low carb gravy?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by judy and squamee(GA), Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. judy and squamee(GA)

judy and squamee(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi ALl,
    Squamee is having serious feeding problems due to an undiagnosed condition (jaw? Throat?). She is back on steroids and her blood sugar is rising, so soon she will probably need insulin. She likes the gravy in the canned food and the broth in the Fancy Feast classic flavors (the latter are lo carb, I hope). But there isn't much broth in the cans. I have poached some chicken and given her the broth which she seems to like. Any recipes for preparing lo carb broths? THanks for any suggestions!

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

sounds like you're doing just what I would.
    j.

3. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Some things to try:

Take about a teaspoon of pate food (Wellness is really smooth and works well for this) and mix it well with a tablespoon of warm water. Chunk up the rest of the pate with a fork and pour the gravy over.

Get FortiFlora probiotics and mix with water.

Crumble some freeze dried chicken or freeze dried cat food into a powder. Mix with warm water and let stand for a few minutes. Pour over food.

Use no salt added canned or boxed chicken broth.

Use water from canned tuna or bottled clam juice.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

mashed low carb ff in warm water...mashed enough with enough water is gravy...tom likes his food this way.

5. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

DH makes a big batch by getting 2-3 lbs of either beef shanks or chicken backs/necks and cooking in a pressure cooker. i don't remember how long... After it is cooked pretty long, he strains out the solids and puts the resulting broth in another pot. (I like to snitch the mushy meat from the beef shanks). Sometimes he reduces this to a thick gelatin (reducing 1/2 gallon or so down to 2 very thick cups at a gentle simmer)

6. Woden's_mom

Woden's_mom Member

I used knox gelatin as a thinkner. Worked pretty well and kitty loved it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.