? How do you tell size of lancets? (got some for free)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by FranklinsMom, Aug 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

Hey everyone...A neighbor on nextdoor.com was giving away some medical supplies after the loss of a loved one. I picked up some lancets in a Ziploc bag and have no idea the size. He said they were all the same size that go in the glucose meter. Is there anyway to tell by looking at them? I checked and don't think I see any writing on them. Some are white and some are blue. They look about the same size but would prefer to keep using a 28 gauge like I got with my AT2 as I think I've read on there that is a good size for cats. Would human glucose meters default to the 28 gauge size too? (I also got a Freestyle Freedom meter but I am returning it since it does not work with the Freestyle Lite strips. )

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

The meter does not care what gauge lancets you use.
    It is easier to get blood with the larger diameter 28 gauge lancets than the smaller diameter 30-31 gauge ones used by most humans.
    I would try the free lancets and see if they work for you.
    If yo have a magnifying glass you can look at one of your 28 gauge ones and a free one and compare the diameter.

3. FranklinsMom

FranklinsMom Member

By eyeball, at least one of these lancets looks smaller. I have a magnifying glass app on my phone, which seems to work half the time. I may have a magnifying glass somewhere in the house I can dig up. Went with my regular lancet tonight but will try one of these other ones in the morning. Thanks very much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.