How does your cat respond?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TreeburnerCT, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TreeburnerCT

TreeburnerCT Member

How does your cat respond to having their blood tested and to getting insulin shots?

Amber has always been a great cat, very obedient (for a cat) and just easy to deal with no matter what. She sits perfectly still while I stick her ear and actually purrs while I do it. The insulin shot seemed to bother her at first, but I've focused on making sure I warm the solution well in the syringe and since then she hasnt even responded to the injection.

Amber has always been incredibly smart, shockingly so. She is very inquisitive, and wants to see what I'm doing so I explain every step to her and let her check out the syringe, smell the insulin on the tip, etc. She seems to realize that she's feeling better since this new routine of poking and prodding so she's very good about doing what we need, for example if she's outside and I tell her she needs her shot she will come back in immediately.

Wondering if other owners get the impression their cat sees some connection between the treatment and feeling better? Maybe I'm giving her too much credit, but she's proven time and time again throughout her life that she understands even more than we think.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Bellasmom

Bellasmom Well-Known Member

My cat bella is very responsive, he knows when he here the beep of tester he’s gonna get a treat, his ears go up, I’ve recently started giving uromax and coq10 and he doesn’t mind that at all, I really think he knows I’m trying to help him, now he does get tired of the poking when I do a curve but heck who wouldn’t. I have been so lucky that he lets me do whatever needs to be done, I call him my super trooper at home, I just switched to lantus and from what I’m told it stings a little but now I make sure it’s warmer and I always rub him after shot. I totally agree they know

krazy4kritters and TreeburnerCT like this.
  3. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I can't open either of the ss you have attached? Do you know if they are working? I can open others.

4. Bellasmom

I will check they were this am

5. Bellasmom

I can open both

6. Bellasmom

I had @Kris & Teasel open them just now and she said she could

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Still can't open. Do you have it public and shared? Otherwise only certain people can open. Since its yours it opens automatically for you.

8. Bellasmom

Public, think so, let me check

9. Bellasmom

I don’t know how to check can you tell me, I’m on a iPad, everyone else has been able so I’m assuming it’s public, I’ve never had it to go to certain people

10. Bellasmom

Found it, it says anyone who has link can open it

11. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

Booger sometimes seems like the poking of the ear doesn't bother him and then other times it does. When it comes to the insulin shot, I do my best to warm the insulin in the syringe before injecting but it doesn't seem to help the situation. He does not like the shot and sometimes tries to snap at me. There was even one day he knew he was about to get his shot and he laid on his side and somehow managed to tighten his skin so I could not pinch it up to inject him. There are times that I have trouble getting the needle to puncture his skin and I feel so horrible. I have read several methods that people have tried and I have even tried them myself and nothing seems to help. :(

12. TreeburnerCT

TreeburnerCT Member

Is Booger really skinny? I noticed Amber doesn't have nearly as much loose skin since losing 3 lbs., definitely not like people where if they lose weight they have extra skin hanging off them.

I tried injecting in Amber's scruff but she doesn't really have enough skin there to pull up into a good tent so I've been using her shoulders and sides and have not had any more issues with missing. Now if I could just get her to eat more especially in the morning.

It's only been a little more than a month so I hope it gets easier for Booger and you!

Thanks,
    Joe

13. Booger's Mom

Booger's Mom Member

No. He is not really skinny. I was giving him the shots on his sides in different places but I would tend to get more muscle there and I think thats why he would be uncomfortable about it. I started giving him his shot between his shoulder blades as that is a good place to get just skin on him and he doesnt give me as much of a problem.

14. felicia__nicole

felicia__nicole Member

I do Benny on the scuff and he doesn't even notice. The shots have never bothered him from day one. BG tests on the other hand...he hates those, but I've only been doing it for 3 days so maybe he'll get better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.