How early can I shoot?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Airway, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airway

Airway Member

Orion is switching to Lantus in about one week. The Lantus group wants me to get before bed numbers to help figure out what his dose will be. Right now I'm asleep within a half hour of his PM shot, so I will need to adjust his schedule. Is it ok to shoot at +11 or what do you recommend? Staying up later really isn't a good option for me.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Lantus works best on a strict 12/12 schedule. It's fairly rigid that way and has to do with the action of the depot. If you shoot an hour late, some of the depot has drained so you have essentially a lower dose going in. If you shoot an hour early, that's on top of a "fuller" depot so the effective dose is higher. Lantus is a concentrated U100 insulin so small changes can have a significant effect on the effective dose.

3. Airway

Airway Member

I am asking if I can give the Prozinc early not the Lantus.

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Ohhh I didn't answer because I thought the question was about Lantus :facepalm:. I have been told ProZinc has up to an hour flexibility time, so can be given within an hour of regular 12/12 cycle and not impact it too much.

5. Airway

Airway Member

I guess I should have been more clear!

6. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I'm sure you are fine, I can't see so well today. Scooted closer to the monitor to re-read your original post LOL

7. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yes, if you are sure the number is rising, you can shoot up to an hour early. HOWEVER, I'd make sure to let the Lantus folks know that you were shooting a 13/11 schedule in case that will affect their starting dose recommendation.

Airway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.