How high blood glucose before starting insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Beta kitty, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

My cat Beta was diagnosed as diabetic 2 yrs ago. The vet wanted to start insulin that day, but I changed her diet to ff classic and tested bg at home with a human meter. Her bg levels have gone up in the past 5 mos, avg 150, but now they're about 210 and she's having symptoms-drinking more, peeing more and is hungry wanting food every time I go into the kitchen. I have an appt at the vet on Mon but am wondering if I should go in sooner to just have a urinalysis and bg test there to compare with my meter. I prefer to see my regular vet as Beta has multiple health problems. Not sure if I should wait or take her in sooner. Any advice?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I would just wait until Monday. The 210 (even on a human meter) is not an immediate concern since you have appointment with your preferred vet on Monday

3. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

Sorry to hear your kitty's numbers are rising! I don't think you need to get her in sooner. 210 is not dangerously high, and any risk is minimal. Normal range for a non-diabetic kitty is 50-120. My vet says anything under 300 is considered "in control" for a diabetic, so hopefully they don't give you a hard time about starting her on insulin. Personally, I wouldn't be ok with just being under 300, and would want to get a little bit of insulin going if numbers were consistently above the normal range...

4. Beta kitty

Beta kitty Member

Thank you Larry and Kitties and SpotsMom for the advice. I'm just concerned since she's showing symptoms of diabetes now when she'd been controlled by diet for so long.
    My vet is pretty good and I don't think she'll object to starting insulin. She's been impressed by my records of blood glucose monitoring of Beta.

SpotsMom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.