How hot can we let the house get with the cats at home?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Val and Sebastian, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Val and Sebastian

Val and Sebastian Member

This is kind of a random question, I know. We are going on vacation tomorrow for a week. We have a catsitter coming in twice a day to take care of Sebastian and our civvie, Chloe.

It is in the mid 90s here outside... our A/C is pretty old and I don't want to leave it running TOO much while we're gone in case it just puckers out completely. :eek:

While I'm at work during the day, the A/C is set to 82 and the cats are fine. I'm wondering if I can bump it up a bit for vacation? 83? 85?

We have a nice cool basement that the cats can retreat to but I don't want to put them in jeopardy in any way.... and I don't want the canned food to get so warm that it's inedible either!

Thoughts?

2. Pam and Layla

Pam and Layla Member

If I'm uncomfortable from the heat then I know the cats are too.

I wouldn't leave them for a week without a/c in this weather. Can your catsitter keep them at her house?

I don't know - turn the a/c to 85 when you are home and see how hot it is.

Good luck!

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

my kitties don't seem to mind 85 at all. 90 in my experience makes them seek out cool tile or a cold bathtub

i'd bump it up to 85 and leave it on. figure it's not gonna come on as much as when you are home using things and generating heat right? now if kitty figures out how to use the oven or something i think it could run too much :)

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Only some of the rooms in my home have AC. Last week it was 95F in some places and and some of the cats would stay in those rooms rather than come in (via cat door) the AC rooms.

5. Val and Sebastian

Val and Sebastian Member

Thanks! I have it on 83 right now. It's not too bad, really. I was sweating a bit when I was cleaning the house, but just sitting around on the computer is comfortable.

The cats don't seem to mind it. Chloe is running around the house like a crazy cat and Sebastian is lying around, as he usually does. ;)

6. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

During the day, my a/c is set on 85. I also leave the ceiling fans running. The cats don't seem to be bothered by it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.